1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NIH Directors Blog: "Gut-Dwelling Bacterium Consumes Parkinson’s Drug"

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://directorsblog.nih.gov/2019/06/25/gut-dwelling-bacterium-consumes-parkinsons-drug/

2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Interesting news. These findings may also lead the way to discoveries about how the micrbiome may effect other drug treatments. It is encouraging that the micrbiome has seemed to be gaining more research attention.

3. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wasn't L dopa used to treat encephalitis lethargica patients? Could this be why the treatment became increasingly ineffective and was ultimately stopped?

Nellie and Mithriel like this.
  4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@chrisb, do you mean with broader use of this drug, it became increasingly ineffective? Rather like some antibiotics then.

Others can provide a more science based answer, but the movie "Awakening" indicates levodopa was used for these patients.

If researchers have wondered since the 70s about gut bug interference with L- dopa, has there been any development of alternative administration of this drug to bypass the gut?

Nellie and chrisb like this.
  5. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, the patients made a dramatic improvement but then gradually stopped responding. That matches a few things I have read about. When I first took metformin for diabetes I was better than I had been for 20 years but then back to where I was. very interesting.