1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NICE ME/CFS guideline - draft published for consultation - 10th November 2020

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Science For ME, Nov 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

They can't. This isn't about ME, or even about us. None of those people accept that there is such a thing as ME/CFS. There is only chronic fatigue, the most common symptom in all of medicine. Add to that chronic pain and you basically cover all chronic illness. The ME-BPS model is the foundation for the whole MUS/BPS/FND project of psychologizing what amounts to 1/3 of all medical cases. Incorrectly, of course, but they are not trying to carve a niche, they are trying to go mainstream, to legitimize the old pre-science model of magical medicine, where the healing words of (read in heavy Russian accent) stronk doktors is a power in itself.

If the ME-BPS project falls everything will be splashed with the stink of failure, as most of the rest of the evidence depends on the belief that fatigue can be improved by a combination of therapy and exercise. The entire basis of IAPT for chronic illness is built on the trifecta of PACE, ACTIB and CODES. The entire project rests on the illusion that this is legitimate, the rest is irrelevant. Symptoms are irrelevant. Nothing that happens to us is relevant, they are simply in the business of managing a huge mass of complaints. Nothing else.

2. rvallee

Also a tip from a programmer but copy your text often in the clipboard (ctrl-c). You can inadvertently overwrite it but more often than not if you make a mistake you'll likely still have it in your clipboard.

Select all text and copy. Repeat often as you write the text. It's basically the equivalent of ctrl-s all the time, another reflex that saves a lot of worry.

3. think_that_it_might

think_that_it_might Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also, reading the tone of the whole statement, it doesn't sound like he's ultra concerned, compared with the bmj thing it's very relaxed.

Forestvon, Sean, Michelle and 2 others like this.
  4. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If the draft guidelines stick, there will be a misinformation campaign to convince the public that CBT/GET rehab is valid and was withdrawn for reasons other than valid ones.

There are business and career interests behind CBT/GET and they'll want to keep giving CBT/GET to patients, if not ME/CFS patients then other ones. I also predict that they might begin to push alternative diagnoses that can be applied to ME/CFS patients but still allow CBT/GET.

5. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just received this and I swear the form was sent with the 2020 draft response!

Dear B

Rupert has passed your email on to me. The embargoed release was sent out today to stakeholders that returned the confidentiality agreement following consultation. I have checked our records and we do not have a form from LocalME.

I have attached this as a Word document. Please could you fill in the details on page 1 and 3 and send this back to me? I will then be able to send you the link to access the embargoed release of the guideline.

Many thanks,
    Katie

Katie Stafford
    Senior Guideline Coordinator | Centre for Guidelines
    National Institute for Health and Care Excellence
    Level 1A | City Tower | Piccadilly Plaza | Manchester | M1 4BT
    Web: www.nice.org.uk

Attached Files:

6. rvallee

I assume that the most contentious point is probably the recognition of harm that has been done to us. Technically this directly blames the BPS ideologues, as they are fully responsible for this harm. No surprise they don't like that. But it's true, so it should remain. But obviously they are extremely worried about the repercussions of a recognition of what they've done. Harm is only harm when it's acknowledged. This acknowledges it, although mutely, and the implications probably set the stage for them being thoroughly discredited and the legal clusterfuck that will be the end of their career.

7. rvallee

8. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Needs to be a change in leadership at BMJ at many levels of the organization. I hope more and more people come to this view.

9. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

And no attention to accuracy, even when quoting a headline from her own organisation. Only three of the four actually resigned.

10. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think the change in leadership has already been organised. Fiona Godlee is stepping down. She made a remark about the BMJ moving into some exciting new phase. As to what that will bring who knows but it doesn't sound too promising to me.

11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pure speculation but my understanding is that Jo Daniels was penalised in some way for tweeting about CBT a while back. I wonder if the problem is that this has meant that the sensible reformers have had more scope to tidy up some further loose ends in the guidelines and that this has proved more than the three who resigned could bear. Charles Shepherd may have been sacked as a desperate move to seem to play fair (although he did not vote anyway) and staunch the haemorrhage of members.

12. Peter Trewhitt

There is now another article, this time in the Times, on the three resignations:

‘Experts quit over call to drop exercise as treatment for ME’
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...u_ncWQ15uLHWOt1BiMAQ0sJr8Rzjc01IDj77TJzaL6iBU

I don’t have access to the full article because of the pay wall, but it starts:

Again it is suggesting a reason for these resignations, which must either be pure speculation or represent a breach of the individuals’ confidentiality agreements with NICE.

[added - if anyone has access to the full article it would be interesting to know if it is more balanced than the ghastly BMJ article or not. Were the three resignations aimed at generating maximum prepublication publicity, when anyone one involved in the process is unable to respond because of confidentiality agreements and/or the two week embargo?

Are individual members of S4ME now able to comment on these articles or even comment here on our site until the publication day, now the prepublication drafts are being sent out to stakeholders, even if we are not involved in looking at that draft? Admin do delete any of my recent comments if they now represents a breach of the forum’s confidentially agreement with NICE. ]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
  13. Caroline Struthers

Caroline Struthers Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Have attached a pdf "print out" of the Times article

14. Peter Trewhitt

The MEA are still sharing on Facebook links to these articles and allowing reader/member comments. Though Dr Shepherd is being very circumspect about what he himself says, he is not above encouraging readers/members to comment themselves on such as the BMJ article.

15. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, Far more balanced, as you would expect from Sean O’Neil. I’m sharing a tweet with screenshots of the article in the hope that this avoids breaking forum rules…
    https://twitter.com/user/status/1423017830484627456

Invisible Woman, Woolie, brf and 20 others like this.
  16. Peter Trewhitt

Thank you @Robert 1973, yes a much better piece of journalism. Though still suggestive that there are ‘sources’ breaching confidentiality.

17. Andy

Andy Committee Member

As long as you are not one of our team who will have sight of the guideline before publication day then I don't see why you, or anybody else, should not be allowed to comment as you see fit. Should you chose to do so, and to be on the safe side, it's probably best not to mention your membership of the forum though to save potential complications.

18. Peter Trewhitt

19. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

thanks Caroline - Just skimmed the Times article and it reads fairly well --- nothing immediately jumped out at me.

20. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.