1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NICE ME/CFS guideline - draft published for consultation - 10th November 2020

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Science For ME, Nov 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Medfeb

Medfeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Moved posts
    Think this might be worth noting here especially in relation to what is going on within NICE? ?

'Awareness of the FOI response has got me looking at minutes of Guideline Committee [GC] meetings subsequent to the consultation on the draft.

It takes time to download and find the record of what went on at these. Which can be summed up in a single page - attached.

Key messages:
    * the first meeting subsequent to the consultation period took place on March 1st.
    at this meeting guideline lead Kate Kelley presented the GC with “an overview of stakeholder comments" - it is unclear whether or not the GC actually get to see the comments, or have to proceed solely on the basis of "an overview” produced by NICE
    all other items begin “The committee reviewed and discussed stakeholder comments and recommendations on ….” with the following exception …
    … at the meeting of 8th of March, having "reviewed and discussed stakeholder comments and recommendations on CBT”: “The committee amended recommendations on CBT”.

* the issue of “indirectness in GRADE ratings” was discussed on 5th March; there is no record of the decision to seek further papers etc., as revealed in the e-mails shared following FOI; this could mean that it wasn’t a GC decision, but taken by NICE - albeit recording that the GC were informed of this would have been appropriate (assuming that they were made aware).

The most recent meeting for which a minute has been posted on the website is 22nd March. Next meeting was scheduled for 19th April, two and a half weeks ago now.

Hope this is helpful.

PERMISSION TO SHARE

BW, H"

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2021
  3. Suffolkres

Suffolkres Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.bmj.com/content/371/bmj.m4774/rapid-responses

'.......This equates to 20 million, a deeply disquieting number of people for whom there are ‘no objective diagnostic tests . . . no curative treatment’ and for whom the primary goals of treatment are to give patients techniques for husbanding what little energy they possess. Their lives are limited and drab, and can scarcely be called more than existence......."

......well said!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  4. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Copied post
    They sent a letter to NICE in connection with the guidelines. The text of the Facebook post:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2021
  5. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. Andy

Andy Committee Member

"Further to our position statement on the 2021 NICE guideline update, Doctors with M.E. has joined the call for NICE to ensure that unconsulted changes are not injected, as these would avoid scrutiny by the scientific community."

https://doctorswith.me/dwme-joins-call-for-nice-to-maintain-scientific-process/

Translation: A number of ME groups who are stakeholders in the NICE guideline process have sent NICE a letter calling for a further consultation period "to comment on any revisions to the draft guideline that may result [from the additional review of evidence taking place at the moment].". Doctors for ME are one of those groups.

7. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

What changes between 2 July and 11 July to precipitate this further letter?

8. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: Jul 12, 2021
  9. Sarah

Sarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The letter says it is lodged on behalf of the eight stakeholders listed. 'Dr HNG Group Submission, with and on behalf of Doctors with M.E.' is the ninth entry on that list.

10. Nightsong

Nightsong Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There's a copy of an older version on archive.org. Comparing the two, the following entries have been deleted:
    and these have been added:

11. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

It looks to me like the NICE stakeholder system is badly broken. Some of those organisations should not be allowed to waste the time of NICE committees as they have vested financial interests in their quack therapies being taken seriously.

12. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How can you be added as a stakeholder after the evidence has been assessed and the official draft has been issued?

13. Andy

Andy Committee Member

But for arguments sake, what if they were able to bring an effective therapy to the attention of NICE that otherwise they wouldn't consider (for whatever reason)? And if they try to bring ineffective therapies up before NICE, then the evidence assessment 'should' discover the ineffectiveness. I understand, and sympathise with, your argument, but I'm not sure how else it could be done.

14. Andy

Andy Committee Member

My understanding is that you can be added as a stakeholder at any point in time, or at the very least I can't recall any restrictions.

15. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you, Nightsong.

16. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That's one of the things I frankly don't understand here. Most of the organizations have absolutely no stake in this, it doesn't concern them one bit.

But then again there are many things that are beyond understanding in how this is happening...

17. Barry

Barry Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm confused. I thought the cut-off date for further stakeholder input to the guideline process, and commenting on the draft, had long passed. I though all that remained was for NICE to consider the feedback on the latest draft that had been received up to that deadline, and no other. I thought this was a key reason put forward as to why the BPS brigade's efforts to unravel that draft would amount to nothing, because anything attempted after that deadline would be inadmissible.

I've not been following this thread all that closely just recently, so I'm presumably missing something.

18. Sarah

Sarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dr Hng made a submission on behalf of several individuals during the draft guideline consultation period (I infer the same group is what is referred to by 'Dr Hng Group Submission' in this letter). Presumably as a group that doesn't constitute an organisation or charity, they wouldn't have qualified for stakeholdership.

It appears Doctors with ME are attaching to this submission group for the purposes of this letter (presumably due to Dr Hng's involvement in Doctors with ME), and doesn't seem to suggest that Doctors with ME have stakeholdership. Particularly as they aren't currently on NICE's list of stakeholders. Unless they have registered recently.

The Dr Hng group submission was posted to the forum here: https://www.s4me.info/threads/nice-...consultation-december-2020.18352/#post-318561

19. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm totally confused as well. Is there going to be yet another delay?!

20. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Per the email convo between NICE and @InitialConditions, they can only delay the publication once.

We have fingers crossed that there will NOT be a substantial change from the Nov 2020 draft.

Invisible Woman, Ariel, Wyva and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.