1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NICE ME/CFS guideline - draft published for consultation - 10th November 2020

Discussion in '2020 UK NICE ME/CFS Guideline' started by Science For ME, Nov 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dx Revision Watch

Dx Revision Watch Senior Member (Voting Rights)

IAPT leads are still hoping to obtain creation of a new Concept code for Somatic symptom disorder (SSD) for addition to the UK Edition of SNOMED CT.

The status of this request is that the request was not approved for the April release, as IAPT had hoped; instead it was referred on to SNOMED International in March, following my submission of stakeholder feedback opposing the addition of SSD to any edition of SNOMED CT.

NHS Digital confirmed to me that the April 2020 release of the UK Edition would not contain a new Concept code for SSD and that the request had been referred on to SNOMED International, as it was considered that it required further discussion.

IAPT then revised a spreadsheet [1] in which they stated that they expected a new SNOMED CT code for SSD to be available in the October 2020 release. That release was delayed until November 11. No new code was added to the November release, either. There is another interim release of the UK Edition scheduled for December 02.

The request appears to remain under review with SNOMED International.

The options are:

it could be approved for addition to the International Edition (in which case, it would be absorbed by all the national editions);
    it could be approved for addition to the UK Edition only;
    it could be rejected for both the International and the UK Edition;
    no decision could be made and the request would be left hanging.

If approved, the SSD term will be used in the new IAPT Data Set v2.0 and associated literature to replace the legacy Data Set v1.5 term

"MUS - not otherwise specified"
    (which IAPT considers is no longer an appropriate term for the cohort).

The new IAPT Data Set v2.0 was implemented on 01 September, but with the request for SSD pending a decision.

Key links:

1 IAPT Data Set v2.0 information page: https://digital.nhs.uk/data-and-inf...to-the-iapt-data-set-v2.0---from-1-april-2020

Updated Technical Output Specification, Data Model, System Conformance Checklist and SNOMED mapping documents:

2 Spreadsheet: IAPT v2.0 Terminology Mapping Guidance Current version: 3.3 Last updated: 17 July 2020

3 Screenshot from spreadsheet Version 3.3: https://dxrevisionwatch.files.wordpress.com/2020/07/revised-iapt-3.3-mapping-ssd-for-october.png

4 November 13, 2019 request for addition of SSD to SNOMED CT: https://isd.hscic.gov.uk/rsp-snomed/user/guest/request/view.jsf?request_id=29847

---------------------

Note: I'll be retired by the end of this coming week, so someone else will need to monitor this request, its outcome, and any revisions to the Data Set v2.0 spreadsheets and associated documentation that relate to this request.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  2. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Can anyone help me reply to this question I received:
    I know that the attached survey was submitted but not sure where to find it referenced in the documentation.

sebaaa, ukxmrv, Michelle and 3 others like this.
  3. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This may be the link:
    https://www.meaction.net/2020/04/30/thousands-add-messages-to-6-m-long-card/

As NICE continued to refuse to add a warning re GET to the current Guidelines, MEAction UK asked for PwME to send in their experience of the harms of GET or to sign in support of adding a warning. These were gathered on to a long roll, then folded into a card and couriered to NICE. An electronic version was also sent.

In addition I believe that accounts of harm to youngsters was discussed by reps from a parent FB group with the GDL chair, Dr Peter Barry, paediatrician at the Scoping meeting in May 2018.

@Tom Kindlon

sebaaa, ukxmrv, rogerblack and 8 others like this.
  4. Tom Kindlon

Thanks, I'll pass that on.
    But my guess is the person wanted to see where it is referenced in the NICE documentation though perhaps the minutes of that scoping meeting does mention something.

alktipping likes this.
  5. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the appendices, it's mentioned there:

https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/GID-NG10091/documents/evidence-review-7, p.210

It's the Oxford Brookes survey, referenced as "Forward ME survey 2019" in the table and as "Oxford Clinical Allied Technology and Trials Services Unit. Forward-ME Group CBT & 44GET Survey. 2019" in the list of references at the end of the document.

Perhaps that helps when searching for references in the main documents?

(Edit: Hope I didn't confuse the surveys. The lead author of the Brookes survey I think was "Helen Dawes" if that helps.)

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    sebaaa, ukxmrv, Medfeb and 9 others like this.
  6. Tom Kindlon

Thanks. I had also wondered whether it was a commissioned survey and so thought it might be more prominent but it looks like it didn’t have that status.

sebaaa, alktipping and MSEsperanza like this.
  7. Science For ME

Science For ME Forum Announcements

A reminder to anyone interested in adding comments to the individual discussion threads about each section of the guideline - the threads will be closed this Friday (27th November). After that you will have to wait until the draft submission is ready a couple of weeks later to have your final say. For details, see this announcement.
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/nice-draft-guideline-submission.17855/

Apologies - this section was omitted when the threads were created:
    Context pages 71-2
    https://www.s4me.info/threads/nice-me-cfs-guideline-draft-context-pages-71-2.17951/

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2020
    sebaaa, JaneL, Kirsten and 12 others like this.
  8. Nellie

Nellie Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A huge thank you for all the work that you are all doing. I don't know how I'd cope without S4ME.

sebaaa, Hutan, Forestvon and 20 others like this.
  9. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just wanted to apologise that I’ve not managed to contribute more to this process and to thank everyone who is working so hard on it – especially the committee. It is very reassuring to know that such competent and knowledgeable people are putting this together.

Also a reminder that anyone can give feedback to:

1) AfME by completing this survey: https://www.actionforme.org.uk/news/draft-nice-guideline-for-me-have-your-say/

2) MEA by emailing: feedback@meassociation.org.uk

3) MEAction by emailing uk@meaction.net

I’ve submitted similar brief comments to all 3 (including saying that I agree with the points in Michiel’s blog). My feeling is that the more people that give feedback, the more likely they are to raise the concerns we have, and the stronger their case will be to NICE.

I’m not sure when the deadlines are for the above – if anyone knows, please share.

MEMarge, sebaaa, Skycloud and 20 others like this.
  10. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I came here to say just exactly this :)
    I'd hoped to get a bit further but am sliding down the wall. Huge thanks to everyone involved.

MEMarge, sebaaa, Hutan and 12 others like this.
  11. MSEsperanza

MSEsperanza Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd like to echo the thanks and this:
    Many many thanks to everyone involved. Also again thanks to the forum members on the guidelines committee.

Your work is much appreciated.

Special thanks to those who worked on the "running summaries". I only managed to read a few, but they made it possible for me to post some erratic comments.

MEMarge, sebaaa, Skycloud and 19 others like this.
  12. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Besides my initial comments, I have not been able to sink my teeth much further into it either. Basically bad timing with life admin stuff outside the forum, plus a short window of time to comment.

That said, I have read most of the main document, and some of the threads looking at individual sections of it. (Big thanks to all those who contributed to those threads.)

It is a very important document and huge step forward for us, no doubt about that. If we can win in the UK, we will have basically won overall. Thanks to NICE for (finally) doing this, and for all those who made constructive contributions, including the NICE evidence evaluation team, and Jonathan Edwards' important independent expert advice. Particular thanks to the patient representatives on the committee for what was a protracted demand on their time and energy, and no doubt at times a difficult and frustrating task.

As far as criticisms go, my only major criticism is the undue heavy emphasis on management and planning.

It is out of proportion to the current (reliable) scientific and clinical knowledge base, not to mention sheer common sense. Frankly, it seems almost intrusive and invasive, and smacks too much to me of certain out-of-touch clinicians and schools of thought trying to hang onto their unjustified status, power, and of course income.

I really don't see how this stuff helps ME patients. Apart from any other reason, the level of detail seems an awful demand on their time and energy, and potentially a serious distraction, right when they don't need it, and for so little return. The degree, at least, of 'active' management by clinicians just seems like activity for the sake of activity.

The worst thing I think any clinical advice or management can do is give false hopes about improvement and recovery, and especially any suggestion that it depends on the patient's 'attitude' and 'will power' and 'motivation'. There is no evidence of any such deficit in patients (arguably the contrary), so any suggestions or implications along those lines need to be ruthlessly expunged from the guidelines.

The ugly truth at this stage, and for the foreseeable future, is that we just don't know much for sure about optimal management, beyond the practical lived experience of millions of patients. The guidelines must accurately reflect that situation.

IMHO, the advice given to newly diagnosed patients* should be something like:

You have this diagnosis, with these broadly agreed characteristics of the disease (most notably and critically PEM, and its relationship to exercise/activity, mental and physical).

It is a very serious chronic disease, that can have profoundly adverse direct and indirect effects upon your life.

We currently know very little about the underlying process, nor how it came about (though infections probably have a major triggering role, at least.)

We do not have any effective treatments, let alone cures. One thing we are quite sure of now is that it is not a mental/personality/phobia disorder, and treatments based on it being one of those types of disorders do not help, and may actually make your overall situation worse. Especially any form of GET, and directed CBT (as opposed to supportive CBT, and I am not even convinced of that).

We cannot offer any reliable prognosis, perhaps other than the common sense proposition that early diagnosis, and hence the opportunity to start promptly accommodating and adapting to the disease as much as is possible, probably helps reduce the overall direct and indirect impact/damage/cost.

Beyond supplying the basic diagnosis and characteristics, and a conceptual explanation of PEM and its relationship to exercise/activity, we can only offer some generic and often limited help with stuff like pain and sleep management, some emotional support (though, again, I remain sceptical about that), and accessing social care programs (e.g income support, suitable housing, various living aids like wheelchairs, etc, as required), and medico-legal support (including supplying individual patient advocates, where needed).

You know, the sort of stuff offered to most diseases, and which carries no underlying assumptions about causality or treatment/cure. This is all about reducing the practical difficulties in having the disease, where possible, not addressing the reasons patients have it, nor how to treat/cure it.

Having ME does not protect you from other diseases. The symptoms of ME often overlap with, or can otherwise mask, the early symptoms of unrelated serious and possibly fatal diseases, which can delay their diagnosis and treatment, and produce a worse outcome for them.

(This is one area that that clinicians could (indirectly) help with, via regular (appropriate) reviews. Though even here there are going to be difficulties due on large part to the poor evidence base and lack of specificity. But it is a critical component in developing good management programs.)

Beyond that, it is largely up to you, the patient, to learn about living with the disease through experience and practice, including talking to other patients about it all (e.g. practical advice on living with it, dealing with social services and medico-legal, and emotional support). Reputable patient support groups can be be very helpful with much of this.

*I think there is an important distinction to be made at the clinical level between patients who are 1) both newly sick and newly diagnosed, 2) have already been sick for some time, perhaps even decades, before been newly diagnosed, 3) have been both sick and diagnosed for some time. The three groups probably need somewhat different approaches, especially the first group from the last two groups. There is not a lot clinicians can teach long termers about living with it, especially the already diagnosed.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Wits_End, MEMarge, sebaaa and 25 others like this.
  13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

MEMarge, sebaaa, ukxmrv and 9 others like this.
  14. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just want to add, that for very seriously affected people, this will not be possible, and they will need someone to do it for them.

MEMarge, sebaaa, ukxmrv and 11 others like this.
  15. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to the discussion on S4ME's reply. I look forward to reading as soon as I am able.

Apologies for my lack of input. This period has coincided with a severe crash including this week 3 days of medical visits, two at major hospitals for other conditions. Frightening and provoking much worse symptoms. Tests still not completed. The experience has Demonstrated again the lack of understanding of ME that is widespread in medicine- sitting upright in an eye unit for 5 hours, and being examined with strong lights into the eye for extended periods - but surely I could have lain down between examinations? We asked but were given blank looks- no energy left to fight.

MEMarge, sebaaa, Dolphin and 14 others like this.
  16. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

See point 6:

...and accessing social care programs (e.g income support, suitable housing, various living aids like wheelchairs, etc, as required), and medico-legal support (including supplying individual patient advocates, where needed).

MEMarge, Dolphin, MSEsperanza and 4 others like this.
  17. Science For ME

Science For ME Forum Announcements

Thanks to everyone who participated in the discussion threads on the NICE Guideline draft for your thoughtful comments. We will be closing those threads now.

A small team is working on the draft which will be shared with you for final comment before it is submitted on 22 December.

Joh, MEMarge, sebaaa and 21 others like this.
  18. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Was just looking at the thread on 'recommendations for research' and was surprised people weren't more critical. To me, that seemed like the worst section and something that was likely to lead on to future problems. Who do we think would be doing that research? To me, that looked likely to be a disaster zone.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    sebaaa, EzzieD, alktipping and 5 others like this.
  19. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Possibly people felt that the recommendations would not be particularly influential given that the Priority Setting Partnership process (for identifying priority research) is underway?

20. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I suspect most of us didn't get as far as reading and commenting on that section. There is still the option of the team putting together our submission adding something themselves or someone suggesting a brief addition once its drafted and shown to members before sending.

MEMarge, sebaaa, ukxmrv and 12 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.