1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NICE Draft guidelines for Vitamin B12 Deficiency out for consultation

Discussion in 'Vitamin B12, D and other deficiencies' started by Arnie Pye, Aug 22, 2023.

1. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Really, they use 350 as the cutoff for "indeterminate"? Some people think even levels in the 500s can give you problems and B12 is so easy to supplement. A B12 level around 550 caused me mouth ulcers.

alktipping, Mij, Ash and 1 other person like this.
  3. Arnie Pye

I try to keep mine over 1000 and I only use methylcobalamin supplements with occasional use of adenosylcobalamin. Since doing this my almost lifelong eczema has 95% disappeared and the spots I had since puberty disappeared (in my 50s).

I don't have any problems absorbing B12 with tablets, but it has to be the right kind for me to get any benefit.

alktipping, Mij, Ash and 2 others like this.
  4. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The lab reference range according to my latest blood test for serum b12 is anything over 145ng/l.

alktipping, Ash and RedFox like this.
  5. Arnie Pye

That is truly appalling!

alktipping and Ash like this.
  6. Haveyoutriedyoga

Haveyoutriedyoga Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Having a peek at the [E] Evidence review for vitamin B12 replacement it says there is little RCT evidence that supplementing B12 leads to improved quality of life even if the numerical value is increased, but that they know there are plenty of people saying they feel better with supplementation. I am probably misunderstanding but if the evidence isn't good enough then isn't a lot of the guidance around values a bit arbitrary?

alktipping, Ash and RedFox like this.
  7. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Years ago my B12 level was just above 200 but my GP didn't feel it was serious even after I told her my tongue felt numb. I took 1000 mcg methylcobalamin supplements for 6 months and the numbness/tingling disappeared.

I got retested 6 months later and the receptionist called to tell me to stop taking B12 b/c it was over 1000. I didn't stop. I continue to take B12 from time to time with my natural yeast which contains B vitamins.

alktipping, Arnie Pye and Ash like this.
  8. Arnie Pye

That suggests to me that the RCTs referred to were probably just getting people to raise their levels to just inside the bottom of the reference range and saying "Look! Nobody feels any better! It's useless!"

[sarcasm on] Researchers use similar shenanigans when doing thyroid research. Get the TSH just down to the top of the reference range, Free T4 just into the bottom of the range, don't bother testing T3, and Bob's your uncle. Nobody needs T3, and a TSH of 4.5 is absolutely fine. And if TSH is higher than that in someone over 50 well, old people don't get any benefit from thyroid hormones do they? [sarcasm off]

alktipping, Ash and Haveyoutriedyoga like this.