1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NICE are looking for a chair for the ME/CFS guideline committee

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Dec 21, 2017.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.nice.org.uk/get-involved/join-a-committee/chair--diagnosis-and-management-cfs-me-gc

Any volunteers?? ;)

MarcNotMark, Joel, TiredSam and 16 others like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It looks as if you cannot apply if you have ANY opinion on ME/CFS: Under conflict of interest:

• Personal non-financial interest

29.A personal non-financial interest in the matters under consideration refers to an opinion on the matters under consideration published in the 12 months before joining an advisory committee or during the period of membership of an advisory committee.

30. Examples include:
    •  A clear opinion, reached as the conclusion of a research project, about the clinical and/or cost effectiveness of an intervention under review.

•  A published statement in which the individual has expressed a clear opinion about the matter under consideration, which could reasonably be interpreted as prejudicial to an objective interpretation of the evidence.

•  Authoring or co-authoring a document submitted as an evidence publication to a NICE advisory committee.

•  Holding office in a professional organisation (see Definitions for an explanation of ‘professional organisations’), charity or advocacy group with a direct interest in the matter under consideration.

•  Other reputational risks in relation to a matter under review.

This clearly seems to disqualify anyone who holds a positive view about poor research but it also seems to rule out people like me!

Let's hope there awesome helpful people who will be attracted by this request.
    Edit: spellchecker gets brimmed and barmier (see that! can't remember what I actually wrote) but this time it showed some creativity. It should have been ... are some helpful people
    • Edit:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2017
    ladycatlover, chrisb, Viola and 16 others like this.
  3. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry i couldn’t resist: what kind of chair, a laz-y-boy, a lawn chair or an electric chair? :laugh::laugh::laugh:

4. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Which rule would exclude you specifically?

ladycatlover and Trish like this.
  5. large donner

large donner Guest

The blue cardigan rule.

6. Hoopoe

Hoopoe Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think all of these

Writing that PACE is junk science in the JHP special issue.

I'm pretty sure the JHP special issue will be considered. It should be at least.

Advisor to IiME would probably exclude someone.

Anyway, this sounds like a very good development. NICE may have finally understood that there is a serious problem of bias in this area.

7. BurnA

BurnA Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I was just thinking that it couldn't be reasonably interpreted as prejudicial to an objective interpretation of the evidence.

8. Robert 1973

Robert 1973 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We can be fairly certain that Wessely et al will be trying to persuade their establishments chums without previous involvement in ME/CFS to apply for the role. I hope Jonathan and others on our side will be going through their contacts too. It could all depend on the chair, and if it's a Wessely stooge we're all doomed.

Can you think of anyone who might be worth approaching, Jonathan?

inox, MEMarge, Joel and 20 others like this.
  9. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Art Vandelay, TiredSam, inox and 10 others like this.
  10. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder who Wessely et al. are hoping to get in there?

I'd have thought that a lot of his natural allies would be less than enthusiastic about taking it on at this point.

inox, Inara, MEMarge and 3 others like this.
  11. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Would John Bercow be excluded (as Patron of MEA) ?
    Hopefully Charles Shepherd has put out some feelers.........?

MEMarge, ladycatlover and Solstice like this.