1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NHS: The Improving Access to Psychological Therapies Manual, June 2018

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Indigophoton, Jun 7, 2018.

1. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is the idea that IAPT is going to be commissioned by Clinical Commissioning Groups?

https://www.england.nhs.uk/ccgs/

Why would a CCG want to spend money on IAPT for me when they don't have the budget for crisis care? In my area, until recently there was a grand total of 0 pediatric in-patient mental health beds. This is the kind of thing that local newspapers publicise and cause a fuss about. Mothers travelling hundreds of miles to see their child twice a week. The kind of thing that should be a priority.

I think there are good targets for advocacy and providing information about IAPT to, including local councilors, trade unions, CCG's, local healthcare workers, etc.

Inara, Indigophoton, Trish and 3 others like this.
  2. Sarah

Sarah Senior Member (Voting Rights)

CCGs have been commissioning IAPT services for some time. National roll-out of IAPT apparently began in 2008. CCGs "replaced" PCTs in 2013. The Secretary of State mandated the NHS for three consecutive years commencing 2014/15 to deliver "timely access to services" to a minimum of "15% of adults with relevant disorders." CCGs commissioning IAPT are incentivised to meet national standards with IAPT Quality Premiums.

By April 2018 all CCGs are required to offer "IAPT services integrated with physical healthcare pathways." An outcomes-based payment system to be implemented by commissioners and providers was mandated to take effect from 1 April 2018.

3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As Sarah says, simply because the rule is they have to tick a box in a certain time so a cheap 'service' that gets patients out of the hands of doctors is ideal. It is a complete scam.

And if you engineer it that everyone can be scored to be a bit better you are 'value for money'.

ladycatlover, JohnM, Inara and 9 others like this.