1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

News Article: Court orders Atos to pay disabled woman £5,000 over dishonest PIP assessment

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by Andy, Dec 22, 2017.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

https://www.disabilitynewsservice.c...led-woman-5000-over-dishonest-pip-assessment/

Zombie Lurker, Alvin, Cemoi and 13 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I'm glad she was awarded compensation after being treated so appallingly. But what a tiny amount of money for something that significantly damaged her health. Compare that to the hundreds of thousands awarded in some celebrity libel cases which cause far less harm to the person libelled.

ukxmrv, Zombie Lurker, Alvin and 16 others like this.
  3. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If there was compensation for everyone in this situation, and then maybe they'll have a real incentive to change.

Arnie Pye, Inara, Trish and 9 others like this.
  4. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Why? It's not as if it's their money they are having to pay out.

5. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hmm, that's unfortunately true: the DWP have shown themselves willing to spend a fortune fighting claimants at tribunal in the name of saving money, so they'd probably make every potentially entitled claimant go through the courts.

ukxmrv, Inara, Trish and 7 others like this.
  6. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Atos being taken to court and losing repeatedly might force a change from the government, particularly if this was publiciesd. I try to be optimistic.

Inara, Trish, Invisible Woman and 3 others like this.
  7. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

So you don't think that if they keep being taken to court and losing that the government will simply change the law to ensure this doesn't happen?

Arnie Pye, Inara, zzz and 3 others like this.
  8. Skycloud

Shhhh!! - I'm still trying to be optimistic! They've a track record of doing that so I wouldn't be surprised by it.

The Select Committee are certainly aware of the problem of dishonest reporting by assessors, so maybe that will make a difference. I certainly don't expect the government to put this right because it's the right thing to do.

9. Cemoi

Cemoi Established Member

That is my hope.

10. Cemoi

Cemoi Established Member

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
  11. Trish

Hi @Cemoi, welcome to the forum. Am I understanding you correctly that you are the successful claimant in this case?

12. Cemoi

Cemoi Established Member

Yes that's correct.

13. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Congratulations, thank you for all the work it must have taken, and also, welcome to the forum!

14. Cemoi

Cemoi Established Member

I should also add that one of my disabilities. Is chronic ME that leaves me mostly housebound. I also have fibromyalga. And some other marvellous unwanted disabilities.

ukxmrv, ScottTriGuy, TiredSam and 7 others like this.
  15. Cemoi

Cemoi Established Member

Thank you Esther. I have to give most of the credit to my friend Bret though for the win. ATOS have fibbed about the court papers going to the wrong address, (unsurprisingly). The court papers were sent to them by the court.

ukxmrv, ScottTriGuy, TiredSam and 7 others like this.
  16. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Dear @Cemoi, would you be willing to link to the verdict?

By the way, really great what you did!!

Invisible Woman, Wonko and Cemoi like this.
  17. Cemoi

Cemoi Established Member

Hi Inara I'm not sure that I understand what you mean. Can you clarify for my foggy brain?

Thanks for your kind words.

18. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In Germany, a judge's verdict is published, most often online, too. I don't know how it is in the UK. I would be interested in the specifics and on what grounds the court decided in your favor. Maybe I can learn something from that.

Sorry if I should have found this information by myself - help? :)

TiredSam likes this.
  19. Skycloud

Well done @Cemoi! I hope it wasn't too costly healthwise. Welcome to the forums :)

20. Trish

Thanks for confirming. Congratulations on your success. And thank you. We need lots of people like you holding ATOS and others to account. As I said earlier in the thread, I think the amount you were awarded after all that stress and trauma is derisory, but I'm very glad you won the case.