1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Swine Flu with pandemic potential, July 2020

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by ladycatlover, Jul 3, 2020.

1. ladycatlover

ladycatlover Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm sorry this is a long post! There's a new Swine Flu arriving, which may have pandemic potential. This is what I received from ProMED-mail earlier today. Sorry to be bearer of bad news! But better we know than don't know.

Mij, JaneL, Barry and 8 others like this.
  2. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I read about this yesterday. It's scary to think that we could possibly go through this again with yet another virus.

ladycatlover, Barry, DokaGirl and 4 others like this.
  3. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I just really wish countries & humans in general would understand that the human animal ecosystem is so complex, we are a part of nature after all.. and it’s better to just leave animals to be and not pump full of antibiotics/ eat/ kill/ use/ encroach on the natural habitat of animals in all the ways humans please. :( I also wish there was international pressure for countries & large companies and industries to change. So many of these viruses jump from animal to human or mutate because of these reasons.

Mij, Sarah94, Seadragon and 8 others like this.
  4. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

:(:banghead::(

I hope there will be a vaccine available.

Anyone know what the age range was for the "oldsters" who were immune to the 2009 swine flu?

5. ringding

ringding Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last time I had flu was swine flu, just after that Christmas having had regular flu before Christmas. Ugh I think that's the most ill I've ever been. Pre-ME.
    I suppose its no surprise that there's another virus that has the potential to be a pandemic.
    2020, the year that keeps on giving!

Sarah94, ladycatlover, Barry and 2 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The upshot of this is that it's become clear that human civilization needs to fully understand the biology, physiology and interaction with the human body of viruses and most pathogens. It has become not just a humane need but an economic imperative as well. There is no returning to full economic productivity until significant progress is made. If it's not COVID-19 it will be the next one.

That can had been continuously kicked down the road, leaving us exposed to pandemics in addition to dismissing the massive crisis of chronic illnesses that pathogens leave in their wake. No longer is this sustainable. It could have been done sooner and cheaper, just like climate change it would actually have massively paid off in technological progress. But nooooo we had to do it the stupid and expensive way of letting the problem grow completely out of control before reacting.

One easy way to get some of those resources would be cancelling all the psychosomatic and "evidence-based" nonsense and applying the funds and resources to actual productive uses. I doubt that will happen soon but it's there for the taking, doing nothing productive while actually stifling progress. It's literally free money, just saying.

ladycatlover, Barry, Kitty and 4 others like this.
  7. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 5, 2020
    Kitty likes this.
  8. Sarah94

Sarah94 Senior Member (Voting Rights)