1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

New small molecules for the treatment of autoinflammatory diseases

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Indigophoton, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-07-small-molecules-treatment-autoinflammatory-diseases.amp
    https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-018-0287-8

Webdog, Andy, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  2. Woolie

Woolie Senior Member

Thanks for posting @Indigophoton. I'm especially interested because I've been diagnosed with an autoinflammatory disease. But I suspect that I'm not the only one here who has one of these diseases.

Webdog, Hutan, Indigophoton and 2 others like this.
  3. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This looks of considerable interest. Blocking innate activation pathways has been hard, partly because a lot of it depends on kinases (enzymes that add phosphate tags to signalling molecules to make them active). Blocking kinases has proved very hard to get 'clean' since the 1980s. A new strategy for blocking activation of a transmembrane receptor by 'covering up' an activation site sounds clever.

I would agree with Woolie that although this is specifically relevant to auto inflammatory disease it would not be at all surprising if this pathway was involved in a non-inflammatory syndrome like ME/CFS. Interferons are involved in producing symptoms without actually creating local inflammation.

Indigophoton, Amw66, Trish and 3 others like this.
  4. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

How can we get people to look at this in relation to ME/CFS?

Amw66 likes this.
  5. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

didnt Ron Davis hint last year that he thought there was a small molecule involved? (Sorry for the Noddy level of my comment:bag:)