1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

New guidance on supporting people with neurodegenerative conditions

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Apr 12, 2021.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had not realised that MND and Parkinson’s are still primarily diagnoses of exclusion, so they, despite being better researched, are not necessarily diagnosed by qualitatively different methods than such as we would ideally want to see for ME.

Also interesting to note that the report only recommends supportive psychological interventions for such as anxiety and depression in these conditions where they believe there is evidence for relating to the specific condition involved, however NICE and the BPS devotees, even where they admit psycho behavioural intervention for ME is not curative, still advocate supportive psychological interventions without any actual evidence for their effectiveness, the only research so far being undertaken on the assumption of such being curative.

That is not to say it is not possible that such supportive psychological interventions may not be potentially beneficial for people with ME but that we have no evidence for this relating specifically to ME.