1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

New Garmin “High Intensity Exercise” monitoring and what it showed my body is doing

Discussion in 'Post-Exertional malaise and fatigue' started by Blueskytoo, Feb 23, 2021.

1. Daisybell

Daisybell Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have an Apple Watch. It doesn’t alert me to periods of high HR, but I was looking at the heart rate data on my phone and i can see plenty of episodes of tachycardia - some of which I was aware of and some of which I wasn’t!
    It does seem to correlate with how I am feeling generally with regards to fatigue/energy levels...
    It would be very interesting to look at 3 months of our data compared to 3 months of data for well people.

2. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think that just indicates that the device isn't measuring what you think it's measuring. Extreme physical exertion probably raised heart rate and resistance to blood flow. I suppose it's possible to have a fast heart rate and low resistance to flow, which would be the same 'power level' as a typical person resting. Thus, despite what the expensive gadget is saying, your body probably isn't being particularly active. If you were doing the equivalent of high intensity exercise, your lungs would have to be pumping a lot of air, yet you didn't mention breathing hard while your readings were high.

Helene and Kitty like this.
  3. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for starting this thread, @Blueskytoo !

A study that collected data on ME patients using these trackers would be interesting.

Hutan, Helene, Perrier and 3 others like this.