New 'Exercise Pill' Could Induce Fitness Benefits Without Exercise

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Mij, Mar 23, 2024.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's back in the news again.

Scientists in the US claim to have boiled down some of the health benefits of exercise into a swallowable pill.

The novel drug is in the very early stages of development, but in initial experiments on rodents, the medicine appears to tap into a natural metabolic pathway usually triggered by exercise.

When administered to mice daily, the drug, called SLU-PP-332, seems to improve muscle function, fitness, and endurance – all without the animals having to move more than they're used to.

Presenting the latest results at the American Chemical Society's 2024 Spring meeting, principal investigator and chemist Bahaa Elgendy from Washington University claims that he and his team have succeeded where others have failed.

https://www.sciencealert.com/new-exercise-pill-could-induce-fitness-benefits-without-exercise

EzzieD, Kitty, John Mac and 2 others like this.
  2. Mij

A synthetic ERR agonist alleviates metabolic syndrome, 2024

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37739806/

Kitty and Wonko like this.
  3. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be interesting to know (but risky) if people with ME took this drug would it induce PEM without exercise.

alex3619, Kitty and shak8 like this.
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can see it now -
    the Post Exercise-Pill Post-Exertion-Reminiscent Malaise In Non-exerTers trial.

5. Hubris

Hubris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I get pem from stimulants (dopaminergics) so the answer is almost certainly yes.

John Mac, Wonko and Sid like this.
  6. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

is it from the drug itself, or the extra activity the stimulant 'cons' you into doing? If its the drug itself & thats common, would that give us insight into mechanisms?

I know all stimulants are risky for me, even caffeine, but thats becauce they prevent symptom contingent pacing & make me feel like i'm better than i am... & thus i do much more than i am really able to (without major payback) which causes huge but unexpected crashes/PEM

Mij likes this.
  7. Hubris

Hubris Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It's the drug itself. I'm at the point where I'm too sick to do anything, I get pem just from the stimulation.

JemPD likes this.
  8. Mij

Caffeine gives me a short boost but I feel an exhaustion 3 hours later. On days that I drink coffee I'm unable to do my walking routine in the evening

JemPD likes this.