1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

new blog post by skeptic doc Harriet A. Hall MD: Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and Rituximab

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by TrixieStix, May 17, 2019.

1. inox

inox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Oh, sorry about the very long post - guess I was a bit upset about this... :-/

Woolie, ukxmrv, EzzieD and 5 others like this.
  2. Subtropical Island

Subtropical Island Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Disappointing (that bolded bit). ...very.

Harriet Hall et al (and especially her video series about science based medicine) really helped me fairly early on in my illness.
    A year in, I was getting so desperate, everyone was throwing ideas at me, I was determined to be the one who beat this thing etc. Being reminded of science, and of the ability I do have to employ critical thought, really helped me to stop wasting huge amounts of energy (and my credibility) on *&$#@* .... things that never did help.

(To know that a rational response to uncertainty in disease etiology can be to support research, to go easy on myself, to trial and document a few basic principles of good health and see how they went for me (some surprisingly consistently not good) etc.
    “Fighting” the disease (technically it’s a syndrome :/?) does not mean taking every remedy people throw at you. It means focusing our efforts on things that will progress our understanding, doing what I can to improve factors I can improve, and knowing that there are quite a few diseases we simply don’t have a handle on yet. The only way to change that is to stop jumping to conclusions - Hysteria, cholera transmitted by miasma, the more you do the more you can do, ... and just look at what we can prove, and try to disprove it. Therein lies proof.

Ironically, the fluge & mella trials mentioned here are a good example of science based medicine. Eliminating something we thought might work. The use of the drug outside of clinical trials is rightly condemned as exploitative or simply jumping the gun)

Sorry, ranting. Have put the excess in brackets to edit later.

Woolie, Snowdrop, Amw66 and 6 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

That is also pretty much a straight lift. Could have been written by Wessely himself.

Woolie, rvallee, EzzieD and 2 others like this.
  4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Sounds familiar. Let me see... Ah, yes:

The time has come to look elsewhere for effective treatments.

Rethinking the treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome—a reanalysis and evaluation of findings from a recent major trial of graded exercise and CBT
    Wilshire et al. BMC Psychology (2018) 6:6

https://bmcpsychology.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s40359-018-0218-3

Hutan, EzzieD, Trish and 4 others like this.