Neutrophils infiltrate sensory ganglia and mediate chronic widespread pain in fibromyalgia, 2023, Sara Cavaria et al

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Mij, Apr 18, 2023.

1. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You have to remember that animal models are always manipulated to just that point where any given influence will make a big difference on the data. Adjuvant arthritis in rats was designed so that almost any intervention would seem to reduce it - same for experimental allergic encephalomyelitis. You can all sorts of effects in these systems that might just about be traceable to some meaningful biology - in that system. But stand back and consider the meaningfulness in terms of a human disease with an unknown aetiology and it is zero.

I have worked alongside people who have made entire careers out of meaningless data in this area. Being critical of basic methodology is considered bad form.

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Well, I didn't see even an acknowledgement of the potential problem of human neutrophils in mice in the paper.

The charts seem to make a good story, but there is a credibility problem.

Peter Trewhitt, shak8 and Trish like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Fascinating discussion, thank you Hutan and Jonathan.
    I'm trying to get my head around whether the apparent clear difference shown in the graphs Hutan posted between FM and controls can mean anything clinically for people with FM, or how it could arise if there is no real clinical difference.

4. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

[Jonathan] "stand back and consider the meaningfulness in terms of a human disease with an unknown aetiology and it is zero"

Or less clearly --- if you don't understand the underlying cause, and you simply replicate the symptom (by some means probably unrelated to the actual mechanism in humans) then what is value of the data - likely zero!
    Seems to highlight the difficulty in interpreting symptoms and the need for GWAS --- might even get an animal model from that! --- [Jonathan] "Most recent progress in medical research has been in terms of DNA - where the machines do not make many mistakes."

5. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

One more thing:
    This study failed to replicate a 2021 study on the transfer of pain behaviour to mice via IgG from people with fibromyalgia. That study made quite a splash at the time.
    Forum thread on that study here:
    Passive transfer of fibromyalgia symptoms from patients to mice, 2021, Goebel et al

6. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

7. Creekside

Creekside Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have little trust in mouse models for pain when no one can clearly define or measure pain. If the mouse doesn't react the way your theory predicts, just change how you interpret observed effects until the results look good.

8. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As the saying in the lab goes, "mice lie and monkeys exaggerate." Though I am grateful for any serious attention paid to my illness.

I have no background in the hypothesis and methodology of employing mice in this research topic or any other.

I am merely a human subject with FM who took NSAIDS for three months at the onset of tiny localized patches of pain, just prior to being diagnosed by a rheumy for "probable fibromyalgia."

The NSAIDs for three months did not prevent the ensuing onslaught of severe symptoms of pain, confusion, fatigue and sensitivity to light.

And NSAIDs are ineffective for pain in FM (unless one has co-occuring arthritis). They are not a recommended treatment.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2023
    RedFox, FMMM1, Peter Trewhitt and 5 others like this.