1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

NeuroPsychiatric conditions Post COVID-19

Discussion in 'Long Covid news' started by RuthT, Apr 4, 2020.

1. RuthT

RuthT Senior Member (Voting Rights)

adambeyoncelowe, Sean, Joh and 4 others like this.
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Seems like the NYT piece was copied over here, for those who can't see it:

https://www.pharmacist.com/article/some-coronavirus-patients-show-signs-brain-ailments

3. RuthT

RuthT Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It’s the description of side effects as neuropsychiatric and the calling on of the expertise of Wessely in these Tweets that disturbs me: a grab for the new market, an extension of the existing regime just as it is coming under fire.

EzzieD, TigerLilea, ukxmrv and 17 others like this.
  4. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yep. in his case psychiatry - alternative spelling of parasite.

God help them. If the BPS get hold of them then their problems are just starting. :(

5. spinoza577

spinoza577 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

6. dreampop

dreampop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wessley & Co will be there when post-COVID starts to be talked about, there's no escaping that, they are moths to flames. We can only hope - or pressure - researchers, doctors, and policy holders that have spoke up to also be at that table. I'm taking about Nath, Collins, Koroshtez, Davis, Tompkins and the leaders of all the centers for excellence, like Lipkin, and not just them but all researchers.

They need to show up from day 1 saying we need to look at is this related to me/cfs or not? What are the biological underpinnings? Demanding proper investigation. If they are passive or deferential, BPS will take over simply by attrition. They don't need research, they just need to talk pieces in journals hypothetical tweets, and speculation pushed out through their propaganda outlets and naive journalists.

If they don't, it's playing catch-up all over again.

EzzieD, Sarah94, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  7. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Encephalitis and other mental disorders? Have I misread this or is Dr Tony Rao’s tweet really saying that encephalitis is a ‘mental disorder’

EzzieD, Sarah94, alktipping and 8 others like this.
  8. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Nope, that's what he said. :banghead:

9. James Morris-Lent

James Morris-Lent Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't see acknowledging neuropsychiatric complications as problematic at all.

In the context of brain infections 'psychiatric' does not mean 'psychogenic'.

If these sorts of effects are occurring then we need to get the information out there for our medical workers, as well as patients and families.

"""Encephalitis and other mental disorders""" - I would put that down to very poor word choice.

More worrying is that the BPS bunch are likely gearing up to attribute any long-term 'unexplained' symptoms in patients to 'unhelpful cognitions'

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  10. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tagging in Wessely and Santhouse would, to me, seem to indicate support for quacky approaches to post-viral symptoms.

EzzieD, Sarah94, alktipping and 10 others like this.
  11. Ebb Tide

Ebb Tide Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is rare but some people develop encephalitis from the Herpes Simplex (cold sore) virus. Acquired brain injury (i.e. not from birth) would be a more appropriate grouping.

ETA: The DSM: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders which Psychiatrists use to code diagnosis does include categories for neurocognitive disorders which include the consequences of traumatic brain injury, Alzheimers and Parkinson's where no-one would argue with organic cause.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  12. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

I was thinking more Freudian slip :D

13. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

from the NYT article, my bolding...
    Well I pity anyone with an FND dx who develops this kind of problem... because they will be likely be dismissed & left untreated if they don't have the classic respiratory issues...