Near-Infrared Light Exposure Triggers ROS to Downregulate Inflammatory Cytokines Induced by SARS Spike Protein in Human Cell Culture, 2023, Aguida +

Discussion in 'Epidemics (including Covid-19, not Long Covid)' started by SNT Gatchaman, Oct 28, 2023.

1. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Near-Infrared Light Exposure Triggers ROS to Downregulate Inflammatory Cytokines Induced by SARS-CoV-2 Spike Protein in Human Cell Culture
    Aguida, Blanche; Chabi, Marie-Marthe; Baouz, Soria; Mould, Rhys; Bell, Jimmy D.; Pooam, Marootpong; André, Sebastien; Archambault, Dominique; Ahmad, Margaret; Jourdan, Nathalie

The leading cause of mortality from SARS-CoV-2 is an exaggerated host immune response, triggering cytokine storms, multiple organ failure and death. Current drug and vaccine-based therapies are of limited efficacy against novel viral variants. Infrared therapy is a non-invasive and safe method that has proven effective against inflammatory conditions for over 100 years. However, its mechanism of action is poorly understood and has not received widespread acceptance.

We herein investigate whether near-infrared (NIR) light exposure in human primary alveolar and macrophage cells could downregulate inflammatory cytokines triggered by the SARS-CoV-2 spike (S) protein or lipopolysaccharide (LPS), and via what underlying mechanism.

Our results showed a dramatic reduction in pro-inflammatory cytokines within days of NIR light treatment, while anti-inflammatory cytokines were upregulated. Mechanistically, NIR light stimulated mitochondrial metabolism, induced transient bursts in reactive oxygen species (ROS) and activated antioxidant gene transcription. These, in turn, downregulated ROS and inflammatory cytokines. A causal relationship was shown between the induction of cellular ROS by NIR light exposure and the downregulation of inflammatory cytokines triggered by SARS-CoV-2 S.

If confirmed by clinical trials, this method would provide an immediate defense against novel SARS-CoV-2 variants and other inflammatory infectious diseases.

Link | PDF (Antioxidants)

2. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Almost as if humans had evolved to live in an environment with natural sunlight...

I'm not sure if our problem is ROS and/or things to do with NO, but there are hints that both are affected by sunlight. I think a study of people with severe ME/CFS - providing exposure to morning sun or an artificial light equivalent (with care of course, with masks if light sensitive) could be useful. I reckon, just as being immobile can cause bad effects, so can being inside with no exposure to natural sunlight.

There's this article 'Let it shine, the unexpected benefits of sun exposure on skin' which says:
    which reported: