1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nature: "When sickness interrupts science"

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by Andy, Jan 10, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Lenny Jason is featured in part of the article.
    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-00112-7

MErmaid, Sean, Barry and 21 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I've just read this article. It looks at the experience of scientists who have MS, ME, Lyme, RA and other chronic disabling conditions and the challenges of working as a scientist and how they cope.

It is relevant to anyone still working while ill. Many of the things discussed were relevant to me as a teacher with ME - like whether and how much to tell bosses and colleagues, and the difficulties of getting adaptations to the working environment.

Good article, though it perhaps paints too rosy a picture of how sympathetic employers and colleagues are - not always my experience!
    Also provides links to employment and disability legislation.

ahimsa, Barry, Wonko and 8 others like this.
  3. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Now, who was it that suggested Dr Keith Geraghty suffered from ME himself and therefore shouldn't be commenting on others research and generally implying a conflict of interest?I

Perhaps we could forward them a copy of this article? :whistle:

Sean, Barry, Wonko and 5 others like this.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes. The exception, rather than the norm...

Invisible Woman, Sean, Barry and 3 others like this.
  5. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Me too. I'm glad I used to give courses on Time and Self-Management before I got ill, it gave me the skills to make the best use of my time with ME, in particular defining tasks and breaking them down, then categorising them according to energy available, long before I actually get down to doing them. So I just have to ask myself how I'm feeling and I can always find something to do appropriate for that energy level in my pre-defined categories. Amazing how much you can get done when you're completely knackered, and getting those brainless, effortless tasks done when I'm not so fit frees up time to be spent on more higher energy tasks when I'm feeling better. Plus making sure I'm always doing the most useful thing now because a lot of stuff is never going to get done so at least make sure that's the less important stuff.