1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nature: She’s the world’s top empathy researcher. But colleagues say she bullied and intimidated them

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Andy, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Posting just for interest. I suppose it's a human fallacy to think, as my automatic reaction was, that a researcher into empathy would automatically show greater empathy towards others, when in fact there is no good reason to think that.
    https://www.sciencemag.org/news/201...lleagues-say-she-bullied-and-intimidated-them

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"What is this 'empathy'? I must study that bizarre phenomenon which others describe."

3. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Same thing, different day. A witch hunter is generally a witch, a crusader for social justice is generally antisocial and bent on creating injustice.

Human nature hasn’t changed for 50,000 years, it’s not going to change in the next five minutes.

4. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Some of the most important achievements of the human race were delivered by people who are, um, socially and ethically challenged.

Isaac Newton, for example. A notoriously prickly and difficult man, and not always ethical in his dealings with others.

Wonko, Barry, Sisyphus and 2 others like this.
  5. Inara

Inara Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Reminds me of "Snakes in Suits", although, of course, I can't and don't say that Tania Singer is a "snake".

Is this a quote by her?

6. Alvin

Alvin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I can't read the article due to brain dysfunction but if she is the world's top researcher then surely she has not read or assimilated the knowledge contained in this book...

Little Bluestem, MEMarge and Wonko like this.
  7. sb4

sb4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I think this extends to scientists in general. They are not the scientific method personified. They are just as susceptible to bias, dogma, ego, perverse incentives as the rest of us.

Little Bluestem, Inara, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  8. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

Nope, satire by Esther12, making the point that she probably decided to study empathy because it was a completely alien and fascinating concept to her, not possessing any herself or understanding why anyone else would.

MEMarge, Inara, Wonko and 2 others like this.
  9. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Snakes taste like chicken, but this gal sounds bitter.

10. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Perhaps this could be a good "Leaving Present" for M Sharpe? ( ie Leaving ME research).

Had considered the JHP special edition on PACE, but that would go straight in the bin.

Trish likes this.