1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Nature: Machine Learning Spots Treasure Trove of Elusive Viruses; Possible Application in ME Research

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research news' started by aaron_c, Mar 28, 2018.

1. aaron_c

aaron_c Established Member

In Summary: They're already looking at viruses in feces to see if healthy people have different viral, ah, "loads" than people with cirrhosis of the liver. Scientists wonder if viruses, either by infecting our bodies or our microbiomes, might contribute to IBD or (ME/)CFS.

Read more here.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  2. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

didn't read but does this square with ron davis not finding viruses?

are any of these phages?

Invisible Woman likes this.
  3. aaron_c

aaron_c Established Member

Fixed the link!

I should say I don't know much more than what I read in this article.

They talk about one family of viruses that infects bacteria and alters their activity. It sounds like at least some of these viruses might not be bacteriophages because they don't mention these viruses killing the bacteria.
    I'm not sure how Ron Davis looked for Viruses, maybe someone else knows? The breakthrough they're touting here mostly has to do with using machine learning to identify new species of virus, the implication I think being that before all we could do is look for viruses that we had already identified. And if we were getting sick from a virus that has infected our fecal microbiome, then my guess is that we wouldn't find that viral DNA in our blood, which I would guess is where Ron Davis looked.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2018