1. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 27th July 2020 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, the DecodeME study has announced £3.2m of funding, click here to read about it.
    Dismiss Notice

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Comprehensive Review Aug 2019 Rivera, Mastronardi, Silva-Aldana,Arcos-Burgos,Lidbury

Discussion in 'BioMedical ME/CFS Research' started by Sly Saint, Aug 7, 2019.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Review article MDPI Diagnostics

Received: 22 May 2019; Accepted: 15 July 2019; Published: 7 August 2019

full text here
    https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4418/9/3/91/htm

(not familiar with any of the authors)

2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Jonathan Kerr was in Colombia I believe

3. Andy

Andy Committee Member & Outreach

MEMarge, andypants, Cheshire and 3 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm really skeptical about onset data. I don't remember filling any questionnaires where onset was asked, only year of official diagnosis. Given that it is known that delays vary from several months to several decades between onset and diagnosis we simply don't have enough reliable data to be so declarative.

From my personal (flawed) memory of people mentioning their approximate onset age it indicates much lower age than is commonly used, an average around early 20's if not earlier because of how underrepresented children are. Late onset seems to be mostly the result of abysmally long delays in diagnosis.

I just think it shouldn't be this prominently mentioned as onset. There are particular problems related to age in this disease, from it being long-referred to as a disease of the bored middle-aged or that children don't contract it.

Otherwise this seems rather fine work at first glance.

Annamaria, Sean, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  5. Nancy Blake

Nancy Blake Established Member

Thorough, grown-up! Not able to follow the all the medical detail, but generally it seems a sound attempt to cover all the complexities, and give considered and sensible suggestions. One error...it suggested that the International Consensus was followed by the Canadian Consensus, but it was the other way round. So other unintended inaccuracies should be checked for. But it seems to be informative rather than partisan. Might be useful to show a doctor who thinks no research has been done!

Annamaria and Sly Saint like this.