1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Moving from laptop/computer to iPad/tablet - did it help?

Discussion in 'Home adaptations, mobility and personal care' started by InitialConditions, Sep 3, 2023.

Tags:
  1. InitialConditions

InitialConditions Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am considering geting an iPad because it might be easier to use given I seem to be going downhill. I currently have a Macbook Pro. I can think of several benefits over a laptop, but I'm wondering if anyone here has done the same, and did it work out for you? There are some things I know I won't be able to do on an iPad if I got rid of my laptop, but I can't see me doing these things given my current health.

TIA

Mfairma, alktipping, bobbler and 7 others like this.
  2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Things to consider might include whether you are using it lying down, sitting on bed/sofa with legs raised or sitting at a desk.

I stopped being able to sit at a computer some years ago and initially shifted to a touchscreen small tablet which was great for lying in bed watching/reading stuff but hopeless for me for typing. I found lying on my side one-finger typing on a touchscreen for long triggered migraines.

Now I use a small laptop set up on an over the bed table on casters that I can easily wheel aside when resting or sleeping, and have at the right height that I can lie on my back on wedge pillows and type with my whole body well supported. I use a mouse rather than the touchpad to move around the screen etc. because I can have the mouse on the bed beside me, so my whole arm is supported while using the mouse. It's not perfect. My arms aren't fully supported when typing and get very fatigued and painful if I type too much.

An OT could probably advise on a good furniture setup.

ahimsa, Mfairma, alktipping and 9 others like this.
  3. Trish

Forgot to add. My daughter who also spends most of her time in bed uses a mini ipad for everything - digital art, typing, watching TV, internet browsing, listening to audiobooks etc.

Some people go even smaller and use smartphones for all those things. I use my phone sometimes for browsing, including reading and writing posts on the forum. It has the advantage of being smaller and lighter to hold than a tablet.

alktipping, Ash, Starlight and 2 others like this.
  4. InitialConditions

Did you primarily use the touchscreen to type, or did you also have a keyboard. There are those keyboard cases for iPAD, which may be an option for me.

alktipping, Ash, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  5. Trish

I used the touchscreen to type, as does my daughter.

alktipping, Ash, MEMarge and 2 others like this.
  6. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I use only a phone in bed.

First I gave up my laptop by not replacing a broken one.

Then had just a phone, max size.

Then an iPad plus the phone.

Then iPad broke back to phone only, but now it’s an SE and too small a screen.

Using this forum is virtually impossible for me on the cramped screen I can’t really see what I’m doing because all the icons are cramped together and I am dyslexic so I need a calmer display spread.

I didn’t replace laptop because I couldn’t sit up, so thought it wouldn’t be worth it. I very much regret that choice now.

A laptop and a smartphone are the two devices one can’t comfortably live without at this point in our society.

Unless you share a laptop with someone you live with and then it can still be tricky sometimes. The laptop you have to have if anything goes wrong your other devices, essential.

The smartphone is necessary for any time you have to leave to house especially at a hospital or travelling anywhere.

I enjoyed using my iPad, and if you want to draw on it you’d need one. Nice for films too.

I did find my iPad too heavy and it didn’t function well with all websites and you never know when that will happen. I did want to get a new one and my friend with ME had recommended a mini iPad for video reading and scrolling. From my previous experience I think this is the size I would need. However these ones are not very good in comparison to the standard size last time I looked in terms of display bounce and some other stuff I can’t remember now. If you can afford it and you’re stuck at home a lot maybe get an iPad as a luxury extra, it may improve your quality of life. But I don’t think they compare to a decent smartphone or laptop in versatility.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
    Mfairma, Simbindi, alktipping and 2 others like this.
  7. Trish

I still use all 3 of smallish laptop, mini touchscreen tablet and smartphone. This gives me flexiblity to use whichever of the 3 works best according to the particular activity and what position I need to be in etc.

I use google android devices and anything I put on one is accessible from all 3. The laptop is a chromebook, which is much cheaper than normal laptops because it has very little memory store, as all my docs, photos etc are stored on the cloud.

I say all this as a prelude to a suggestion if someone is starting from scratch and doesn't know which will suit them, I think the total price of all 3 of my devices adds up to about the same as an ipad.

8. Ash

Oh that’s a good tip @Trish.

I think possibly for reasons of accessibility people with ME maybe do need all three.

9. jonathan_h

jonathan_h Established Member (Voting Rights)

I’m sorry to hear about your worsening health. I bought an iPad to replace my laptop when my illness became severe enough where using one was making me feel sick. I think that was mostly to do with the large screen. My iPad has a smaller screen and is less draining to use—however, my phone’s screen is smaller still and what I prefer to use. I really only use my tablet now when my phone is charging (so a few hours each day).

Simbindi, alktipping, Ash and 4 others like this.
  10. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sorry to hear re your worsening health as well.

My daughter uses an ipad all the time and types using the screen. However cognitively she is unable to type or read anything much more than short emails or similar.
    She watches a fair amount of You-tube especially in the couple of hrs following coming downstairs in the morning, or after doing anything involving energy. She finds them relaxing.

Simbindi, alktipping, Ash and 2 others like this.
  11. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I moved from a laptop to an ipad a couple of years after diagnosis. It was a gift so I didn't plan it to fit in with the illness. It has been a godsend.

I really love it and carry it everywhere in the house with me. I am constantly online looking up anything and everything and now never use a laptop. I am not a techie so its functions are enough for me but my husband does complain ( if I ask for help) that he would like to be on the laptop because it would be much easier. I find some features eg posting photos impossible on the ipad but that is my issue, because I have never consolidated learning to do that.

I use it in bed and from wherever I happen to be sitting/lying in the house. It has a good font size and is comfortable to use. Currently I am at an angle of about 45degrees in bed with my typing hand securely resting by my side and the other lying on the bed supporting the ipad. When I tried using the laptop in bed, I needed to be more upright and hold my arms up which was very tiring. Replaced my ipad with another when it wore out.

alktipping, Ash, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  12. InitialConditions

Thanks for your replies. I should have added that I struggle immensely with screens, and have done for many years. Phone screen is better. I think just because there's less information to be processed by the brain, given the smaller size (the screen, not my brain).

inox, jonathan_h, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  13. Ash

I found that myself. I have very severe light and visual movement sensitivity. I found my old large screen phone really good for this. My normal size iPad was beautiful for films but too much for reading and scrolling.

The good thing now is that screens have improved so much that if you buy something now at least it should help you out with an easier watch.

I hope you find your Goldilocks screen!

14. Mfairma

Mfairma Established Member (Voting Rights)

I use my phone for most things and one small adaptation that helps is that I sew ribbon into a band along the back of the case for my fingers to slide through (like this: ). Helps with hand pain as it allows me to hold the phone lighter and to shift my fingers to different positions as they get uncomfortable. Also allows the phone to sit flat. The tension on the band does tend to destroy phone cases with time though.

When I need a larger screen, a pc monitor mounted on an arm that swings out above my sofa lets me work lying on my back, albeit with some neck discomfort from propping up my head.

Ash, Wonko and Trish like this.