1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 22nd April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Monitoring Carotid Blood Flow Using In-Ear Wearable Device During Tilt-Table Testing, 2023, Hemantkumar Tripathi MD et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Mij, Mar 26, 2023.

1. Mij

Mij Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Mij

3. belbyr

belbyr Established Member (Voting Rights)

Very neat.

Hutan, alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  4. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It would be ideal to compare the two techniques. Cerebral blood flow via the internal carotid artery is subject to cerebral autoregulation in order to protect the brain from under- or over- perfusion. The external system is probably negatively correlated, eg external carotid flows increase in order to shunt blood away and protect brain from over-circulation and vice versa.

Gravitational effects on intracranial pressure and blood flow regulation in young men: a potential shunting role for the external carotid artery (2020)
    Dynamic cerebral autoregulation is unrelated to decrease in external carotid artery blood flow during acute hypotension in healthy young men (2016)

See also —
    Stat Pearls: Physiology, Cerebral Autoregulation

Also this paper looks at diurnal and sex differences in cerebral autoregulation (none found) —
    Comparison of diurnal variation, anatomical location, and biological sex within spontaneous and driven dynamic cerebral autoregulation measures (2020)

sebaaa, Hutan, Michelle and 7 others like this.
  5. deleder2k

deleder2k Established Member

Peter Trewhitt and Hutan like this.
  6. Mij

7. Mij

You can contact them on X or instagram.

Peter Trewhitt, Ash and Trish like this.
  8. Ash

Ash Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That’s so interesting @Mij

I am about to have a tilt table test which I am dreading last one I had was a normal(ish?) result but I felt horrifically sick for a long time following it.

Shame I couldn’t have got one of these to take in with me to check it out. I’d thought due to how I did have symptoms while tilted but got normal results, maybe my OI was neurological rather than Cardiovascular.

ps I don’t fancy the subscription on something pretty much untested just yet. I hope if it works out it will be an affordable intervention for individuals or it works so well healthcare providers will fund it for patients.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2023
    Trish, Peter Trewhitt and Mij like this.
  9. voner

voner Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Peter Trewhitt likes this.