1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Monica Greco (draft for 2017 paper) Pragmatics of explanation : creative accountability and ‘medically unexplained symptoms’

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Esther12, Mar 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Monica Greco seems to do lots of uninteresting thoughtless work with long words on MUS. It's possibly worth reading her work to see how some people think about these things?

I don't know how I ended up being linked to this piece, but I thought that this paragraph was of interest, especially the anonymous quote in bold:

https://www.cbs.dk/files/cbs.dk/pragmatics_of_explanation_0.pdf

It looks like I was reading a draft version of this paper: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0081176917710425?journalCode=sora

Chris, Barry, Indigophoton and 8 others like this.
  2. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

How did I guess she's a sociologist before I even clicked through?

(Clue: lots of long words, vacuous content)

Barry, Louie41, dangermouse and 2 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Anyone who writes a sentence like this is more concerned with their own supposed erudition than with talking sense:

''In this reconfigured discursive space, the problem of explanation is recast not in terms of the need for a representational, objective truth on the basis of which treatment of one kind or another should follow, but rather in terms of a pragmatic wager whose truth lies in the quality of its clinical effects.''

Allele, Dolphin, John Mac and 10 others like this.
  4. TiredSam

I had no idea that a pragmatic wager could possess the quality of truth. I live and learn.

Barry, Chris, Louie41 and 4 others like this.
  5. Wonko

Wonko Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Maybe if it's inconvenient that patients are leaving when they find out they have been lied to they should stop.

Dolphin, Barry, Chris and 6 others like this.
  6. Skycloud

Skycloud Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"but rather in terms of a pragmatic wager whose truth lies in the quality of its clinical effects.''

If the quality of clinical effects is good, and reported with objective truth there is less likely to be a problem; in a sense all medical treatment is a pragmatic wager. Oh, there's a problem there for the idea of MUS..

I do agree that 'they' should stop changing the names of this belief of theirs in an effort to confuse patients into compliance. Call a spade a spade - tell every MUS patient they have hysteria.

edit for tone and clarity - sorry @TiredSam

Barry, Chris, Jan and 6 others like this.
  7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

''In this reconfigured discursive space, the problem of explanation is recast not in terms of the need for a representational, objective truth on the basis of which treatment of one kind or another should follow, but rather in terms of a pragmatic wager whose truth lies in the quality of its clinical effects.''

Looks like the Patent Electric Circumlocution Enhancer has been at the brandy again.

Barry, Jan, OverTheHills and 10 others like this.
  8. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

dangermouse, Barry, Trish and 4 others like this.
  9. TiredSam

Here is my artist statement:

My work explores the relationship between the tyranny of ageing and life as performance.

With influences as diverse as Nietzsche and Francis Bacon, new insights are generated from both constructed and discovered discourse.

Ever since I was a pre-adolescent I have been fascinated by the unrelenting divergence of the mind. What starts out as yearning soon becomes corroded into a cacophony of lust, leaving only a sense of unreality and the dawn of a new synthesis.

As shifting derivatives become transformed through frantic and academic practice, the viewer is left with a clue to the edges of our culture.

dangermouse, John Mac, Barry and 5 others like this.
  10. TiredSam

dangermouse, Barry, Trish and 3 others like this.
  11. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

haha brilliant :D

heres mine...
    My work explores the relationship between Jungian archetypes and skateboard ethics.
    With influences as diverse as Kafka and Frida Kahlo, new variations are generated from both mundane and transcendant textures.

Ever since I was a postgraduate I have been fascinated by the traditional understanding of the mind. What starts out as yearning soon becomes finessed into a carnival of distress, leaving only a sense of unreality and the unlikelihood of a new order.

As wavering derivatives become frozen through studious and personal practice, the viewer is left with an epitaph for the limits of our world.

Indeed

Actually replace one word & my statement was quite fitting really..... "What starts out as seeking help from a doctor for my devastating disease soon becomes finessed into a carnival of distress, leaving only a sense of unreality and the unlikelihood of a new order."

A 'carnival of distress' to which you Monica Greco are contributing when you write papers like these.

Barry, Trish, Chris and 1 other person like this.
  12. TiredSam

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

What a hilarious juxtaposition

JemPD, Barry and Trish like this.