Molecular Hydrogen as a Medical Gas for the Treatment of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/CFS: Possible Efficacy Based on a Literature Review, 2022, Hirano

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Sly Saint, Apr 12, 2022.

1. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is a disorder that is characterized by fatigue that persists for more than 6 months, weakness, sleep disturbances, and cognitive dysfunction. There are multiple possible etiologies for ME/CFS, among which mitochondrial dysfunction plays a major role in abnormal energy metabolism.

The potential of many substances for the treatment of ME/CFS has been examined; however, satisfactory outcomes have not yet been achieved. The development of new substances for curative, not symptomatic, treatments is desired. Molecular hydrogen (H2) ameliorates mitochondrial dysfunction by scavenging hydroxyl radicals, the most potent oxidant among reactive oxygen species.
    Animal experiments and clinical trials reported that H2 exerted ameliorative effects on acute and chronic fatigue. Therefore, we conducted a literature review on the mechanism by which H2 improves acute and chronic fatigue in animals and healthy people and showed that the attenuation of mitochondrial dysfunction by H2 may be involved in the ameliorative effects. Although further clinical trials are needed to determine the efficacy and mechanism of H2 gas in ME/CFS, our literature review suggested that H2 gas may be an effective medical gas for the treatment of ME/CFS.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fneur.2022.841310/full

Peter Trewhitt and Tia like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'm not giving this many brain cells, seems very fishy, but does breathing H2 actually get through the lungs and diffuse in the blood? How? Then, what, it just acidifies the blood? Doesn't make much sense.

OK that's enough brain cells for that.

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Weakness is not a defining symptom of ME/CFS! Why can no one admit that it is an abnormal response to exercise or just say PEM. Exertion and exercise are a problem, that is not difficult to say is it?

Mij likes this.