Modulation of Beta-Adrenergic Autoantibodies Over Time in Post-Viral ME/CFS is Related to Fatigue and Pain Symptoms 2023 Busch et al

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, May 3, 2023.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Background: Myalgic encephalomyelits/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) is an acquired disease with symptoms of fatigue and pain. In pathogenesis, the induction of autoantibodies (AAB) against G-protein coupled receptors (GPCR), such as β-adrenergic receptors (β-AdR), has been suspected. GPCR-AAB correlate with symptom severity and autonomic dysfunction in ME/CFS. Objectives: To describe symptoms and treatment of a patient presenting with infection-triggered ME/CFS demonstrating that levels of β-AdR-AAB underlie modulation over time, correlating with the severity of symptoms.

Methods: At T1 and T2, GPCR-AAB were measured and questionnaires assessing symptom severity were completed. TSHDS-IgM-AAB were tested, and SF density was analyzed via skin probe.

Results: At T2, elevated levels of β-AdR-AAB were found, corresponding with an aggravation of fatigue and pain symptoms. Elevated TSHDS-IgM-AAB were found, which corresponded with reduced fiber density from the skin probe.

Conclusions: The levels of β-AdR-AAB in post-infectious ME/CFS can be modulated. Future studies might target interventions to reduce these AAB.

PubMed abstract only, https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37129123/
    Full article (PDF), https://ima-files.s3.amazonaws.com/476779_fa76b9f9-806d-46e3-8e47-2c34a08404bf.pdf

EndME, AliceLily, Trish and 8 others like this.
  2. Grigor

Grigor Senior Member (Voting Rights)

RedFox likes this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Case study of one patient. Not very clear from the abstract.
    And the author is managing director of the company that holds the patent for the test used.
    Taking both these factors into account it seems to me the generalisation in the conclusion and paper title is not warranted.

Last edited: May 6, 2023
    EndME, RedFox, Michelle and 4 others like this.