1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Modern-Day Relics of Psychiatry, 2019, Tripathi et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Aug 30, 2019.

1. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

The frequency of changes in terminology is a good inverse index of how poorly the subject is understood. The more often it changes, the less likely it is to be well characterised and understood.

How many times has femoral fracture changed its name?

Squeezy, Arnie Pye, Amw66 and 4 others like this.
  2. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I'd be curious if anyone had done a full review of the various psychosomatic concepts. I would be surprised if there are fewer than 50, all nearly identical. It's still constantly shifting and changing by minute amounts and the duplication of efforts is staggering, especially when the differences basically amount to arguing over what type and consistency of cheese the Moon is made up in the days before rockets were invented. Entirely pointless speculation.

Reminds me of failed software development projects in which huge efforts are wasted on the design of the proverbial watershed even though the main project itself has completely stalled. It's all busywork that serves no purpose other than pretending to do something.

Just looking at the current discussion over differences between BDS, BSS, FSS and WhateverTheFuckElse and frankly the differences are so minute, so nitpicky as to be entirely meaningless as they are as open to interpretation as a religious text or Nostradamus.

There are variations of jokes about physics applied to other fields that start something like "assuming a cow is a perfect spherical object of uniform density going at relativistic speed". It's like that, except unironically. An entire field of medicine based entirely on cartoonish parody of human nature.

Squeezy, Sean, Chezboo and 5 others like this.
  3. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Squeezy, Sean and rvallee like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Mithriel and Squeezy like this.