1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

MitoQ spam email warning

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Feb 26, 2018.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

If you receive an email from MitoQ which claims that they will give you a refund if you just click on a link in the email and fill out a form, don't click on anything in the email, it's spam.

I've had it confirmed by MitoQ, via their Facebook page, that it wasn't sent by them. The email does contain correct information identifying me so my guess is that MitoQ have been hacked. I've checked my recent card transactions and there is nothing suspicious there, so I'm assuming that card details haven't been compromised - the linked form is probably to try to get you to hand over the card details.

Moral of this story, other than MitoQ is expensive and doesn't cure you, is if something looks too good to be true, it normally is and so is worth checking.

2. Tapanui 'Flu

Tapanui 'Flu New Member

Thanks - yes I just got one too. It looked very convincing and contained all my correct details - order name, address etc - it just had some minor glitches with the English, and was offering my refund in Euros rather than in the NZD I paid. I didn't click the link, and I've forwarded my email to MitoQ's customer service address for their information. (They're probably not at work yet - it's a New Zealand company and it's still early morning here!)

3. Tapanui 'Flu

Tapanui 'Flu New Member

Glad to have received a warning email from MitoQ at 8.31am NZDT - a minute after their official opening time, so full points for being prompt! But MitoQ customers will now need to be on the watch for other scams no doubt heading our way - expect stuff by phone and mail, as well as by email, because they've got all our contact details and will probably sell the list to other scammers. (I had a call last night from the IT Department of a software company ringing urgently about my computer ... I hung up before he'd even finished the first sentence, but now wonder if this might be connected to the MitoQ data theft.)

4. Adrian

Adrian Administrator Staff Member

If they have been hacked and your personal information disclosed one thing to ask for is that they pay for credit checking services.

5. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you look at the email header, the email actually originated from sendgrid.net. SendGrid doesn't have the best reputation for cracking down on spammers and phishing.

However, you can report these emails. The following link has instructions on how to report malicious emails to SendGrid.

https://sendgrid.com/report-spam/

ETA: I sent a report and got an automated reply that SendGrid is looking into it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  6. Sing

Sing Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I got one. I was suspicious but clicked on the first link. When I saw they had my information but wanted me to fill out credit card details and—hurry, hurry, offer about to end—I stopped. I went to the website by regular means, questioned it but did not hear back.

It’s disturbing how vulnerable we are and how much predation is happening. I have half fallen into other trouble like this before and get spam and fraudulent telephone calls off and on. So far, major disaster hasn’t come.

Take care, everyone!

7. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Received this today

8. Webdog

Webdog Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Here's the email response I got from SendGrid after reporting the phishing email. SendGrid is where the emails originated from.

SendGrid closed the ticket, so I don't expect to hear further from them on this.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2018
  9. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Screenshot of an email from MitoQ that I received earlier today
    Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 12.49.13.png

10. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Screenshot of a further email I received this morning. I'd suggest that even if you haven't received this email, check your recent credit card transactions.
    Screen Shot 2018-03-02 at 10.09.13.png

Luther Blissett likes this.
  11. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well avoided!

Never click on an email to fill in any kind of form.

Go to any site directly, and if a form is needed to be filled in it should be available on the site. If possible report the email as 'phishing', or failing that spam. The more reports the easier for the address to be added to blacklists and preventative measures, helping others avoid the trap.

Same for banks, utilities, basically anything that asks for personal information that the company should already know. This is also a common way to scam people by phone.

Doubt everything, and contact the company directly through official means.

Search the internet using words from a suspicious message and 'scam', and if it is a scam it will probably be documented.

Never act on impulse, stop and think like @Sing managed to do. :thumbup:

12. Luther Blissett

Luther Blissett Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Urgh, sympathies for anyone going through this. Thanks for letting everyone know @Andy.

I would advise on changing passwords on the email account, and if there are MitoQ accounts, just in case.

If anyone if unsure or uncertain about what to do, I'm sure asking on the forum for help in any way will get answers and support. There are no 'dumb' questions.

If you feel embarrassed and don't want to post publicly, get in touch with somebody by PM. I'm happy to help and others will be too. Don't beat yourself up if you got caught. Millions do. :hug:

Hutan, Andy and Indigophoton like this.
  13. Indigophoton

Indigophoton Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This website https://haveibeenpwned.com keeps tabs on data breaches. You can be notified if your email address(es) and other info show up in the public domain as a result of future security breaches if you wish. You can also search to see what's already out there.

Luther Blissett and Andy like this.
  14. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to say I also received this phishing email and although I did not click on the link or give the scammers any information, my contact details were clearly leaked from that website hack and I had to change my phone number (as I started receiving weird aggressive phishing phone calls that knew my name etc.) and cancel my card. The Spotify account linked to the same email address was hacked also and I caught unknown devices listening. As for the email address linked to that order, I'm still receiving extortion emails along the lines of "if you don't send x amount to x address we'll do this or that to you". I trace these events to this clown website being hacked. It's been stressful to say the least.

Hutan, Webdog and Andy like this.
  15. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

@Sid

I'm sorry to hear this happened to you. It would be stressful to deal with. I expect that is everyone's worst online nightmare.

Webdog, Trish, Sid and 2 others like this.
  16. Sid

Sid Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Pretty much.