1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Misdiagnosis of an underlying medical condition as Conversion Disorder/Functional Neurological Disorder (CD/FND), 2020, van der Feltz-Cornelis et al

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Andy, May 29, 2020.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall and first page preview, https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0163834320300645
    Not available via Sci hub at time of posting

Michelle, MFraumeni, Yessica and 13 others like this.
  2. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sounds interesting. There's not abstract but you can view the first page which reads:

Grigor, Snow Leopard, Amw66 and 5 others like this.
  3. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it just me, or do people who experienced sexual abuse as children not have enough to cope with without being fobbed off with an FND diagnosis instead of having a proper suite of investigations when they get ill?

4. MFraumeni

MFraumeni Established Member

I think there needs to be a complete separation of true Conversion Disorder, psychogenic along the lines of a psychological trauma like sexual abuse as a child or being in a crappy war resulting in PTSD, from a functional neurological symptom disorder that may have no identifiable psychological or psychogenic causal factor, in other words a neurological disorder like MS, Parkinson's etc. which neurologists take responsibility for, and can bill for under insurance, rather than as they did with me and look at my movements as atypical and then refer me immediately to psychiatry to take their hands off my case or receive kickbacks from psychiatry because psychiatrists need all the more or less "normal" people to fill their caseloads and research agendas. As well, people with a traumatic brain injury who are long-haulers get dumped into this CD/FND category with a normal MRI and continuing symptoms but as a result of the TBI are now a psychiatric case within the DSM so that when they go to the ER for some other ailment, psychiatric disorder is there on the chart right there in print. Ridiculous.