1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

[minor interest] Chris Burton (2017) Diagnosis unforthcoming [on MUS for Medical and Dental Defence Union of Scotland]

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic news - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Esther12, May 1, 2018.

1. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://www.mddus.com/resources/pub...17/diagnosis-unforthcoming?platform=hootsuite

Burton often comes up with shamelessly over-confident stuff about how to manage and explain medically unexplained symptoms (he'd prefer some other over-arching term). This was his conclusion:

"Doctors in any specialty can manage patients with MUS. Doing so effectively requires confidence in explaining symptoms in a way that patients find acceptable, supporting self-management and being able to handle emotional distress and mental health problems if they emerge. Doing so safely requires attention to clinical detail, judicious use of diagnostic tests and a balance between firm reassurance with symptom management and closing down other diagnostic possibilities too quickly. As the science which enables us to explain MUS becomes stronger, the art of maintaining this balance will remain."

I thought it was a bit interesting this was published on MDDUS, This is what wikipedia says about them: The Medical and Dental Defence Union of Scotland (MDDUS) is one of three major medical defence organisations (MDOs) in the UK and offers professional indemnity and expert medico-legal and dento-legal advice for doctors, dentists and other healthcare professionals throughout the United Kingdom. MDDUS is a mutual organisation and was founded in 1902.[1] It is recognised by the UK's General Medical Council.[2]

2. TiredSam

TiredSam Committee Member

No skills required then.

Nothing about logical argument, reference to research, consideration of the patient's views in that list. Just label any feedback from the patient as "emotional distress and mental health problems" if they emerge if the patient says anything.

Insisting you are right.

Wait a while before telling the patient to shut up because they are obviously emotionally distressed or have a mental health problem.

We are still waiting for the evidence, but it's coming ...

It's an art. I'm the artist. Anything I do is valid.

What an odious attitude.

Woolie, Hutan, alktipping and 7 others like this.