1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

MicroRNA-33/33* inhibit the activation of MAVS through AMPK in antiviral innate immunity, 2019, Liu et al

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by Helico, Apr 28, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Helico

Helico Established Member

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26816379

Cell Mol Immunol. 2019 Nov 25. doi: 10.1038/s41423-019-0326-x. [Epub ahead of print]
    MicroRNA-33/33* inhibit the activation of MAVS through AMPK in antiviral innate immunity.
    Liu D1, Tan Q1, Zhu J2, Zhang Y3, Xue Y1, Song Y1, Liu Y1, Wang Q4, Lai L5,6.
    Author information
    Abstract

Innate immunity plays a prominent role in the host defense against pathogens and must be precisely regulated. As vital orchestrators in cholesterol homeostasis, microRNA-33/33* have been widely investigated in cellular metabolism. However, their role in antiviral innate immunity is largely unknown. Here, we report that VSV stimulation decreased the expression of miR-33/33* through an IFNAR-dependent manner in macrophages. Overexpression of miR-33/33* resulted in impaired RIG-I signaling, enhancing viral load and lethality whereas attenuating type I interferon production both in vitro and in vivo. In addition, miR-33/33* specifically prevented the mitochondrial adaptor mitochondrial antiviral-signaling protein (MAVS) from forming activated aggregates by targeting adenosine monophosphate activated protein kinase (AMPK), subsequently impeding the mitophagy-mediated elimination of damaged mitochondria and disturbing mitochondrial homeostasis which is indispensable for efficient MAVS activation. Our findings establish miR-33/33* as negative modulators of the RNA virus-triggered innate immune response and identify a previously unknown regulatory mechanism linking mitochondrial homeostasis with antiviral signaling pathways.

KEYWORDS:
    AMPKα; MAVS; microRNA-33/33*; mitophagy; type I interferon

PMID:
    DOI:
    10.1038/s41423-019-0326-x

alktipping likes this.