1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Metrodora Clinic news and discussion (Salt Lake City area)

Discussion in 'USA clinics and doctors' started by RedFox, May 16, 2023.

1. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Metrodora clinic, which the Instacart CEO announced founding a while back, is now open and taking patients. They specialize in a wide range of conditions, including ME/CFS, long Covid, POTS, connective tissue disorders, and IBS. Almost all of them share a common thread: They're poorly understood and have limited treatment options.

Website
    Twitter

Information on what insurance they accept is limited. Their new patient form merely states, "Metrodora is working hard to contract with multiple insurance payers at this time".

Wyva, ahimsa, Peter Trewhitt and 5 others like this.
  2. RedFox

3. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Bit of a side note (now I’ve checked) but I remembered reading about a place people with me/cfs apparently went to live because there was a treatment offered but they needed to be in town etc years ago so looked it up just in case it was this one but it isn’t (it’s one in Invline Village Nevada)

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/personal-history/a-town-for-people-with-chronic-fatigue

anyway had to remind myself what the treatment then was: 2019 article and talks about Ampligen.

Be interesting to hear updates 4yrs on if places do offer different treatments and whether they do work out etc or if there are other things being tried in other countries I guess ?

Peter Trewhitt and Trish like this.
  4. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Hutan, Wyva, ahimsa and 5 others like this.
  5. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I went to the patient questionnaire on their website to see what information they were gathering.

One of the questions is, "Are you a previously established patient of one of our clinicians?"

If yes, they ask you to select the doctor. I thought it would be interesting to share that list of names.

Hutan, bobbler and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  6. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I found an article talking about the Metrodora Clinic and its CEO:

https://www.fastcompany.com/90878703/instacart-ceo-fidji-simo-metrodora-institute

It's a much bigger operation than I thought! 15,000 patients expected by the end of the year?

And why are only women patients mentioned?
    (line breaks added to both quotes)
    This quote reveals that the CEO has endometriosis and POTS.
    I don't have the medical expertise to evaluate the claims made on the Metrodora website. It feels like there's a lot of hype, and I don't know whether the category "neuroimmune axis disorders" is valid.

I'm sorry to be so skeptical. I do hope that this ends up being a useful facility for patients.

Dakota15, bobbler, Wyva and 4 others like this.
  7. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I’d like to know what dr Bateman has to say

bobbler, RedFox, shak8 and 1 other person like this.
  8. belbyr

belbyr Established Member (Voting Rights)

Laura Pace is there and she is an outstanding gastro doctor that has done many presentations for dysautonomia international.

bobbler, RedFox, shak8 and 3 others like this.
  9. Jaybee00

Jaybee00 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

That’s a big building….

RedFox and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  10. RedFox

Peter Trewhitt likes this.
  11. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There are three main physicians listed, one of whom is Anne Maitland. She has co-published with Afrin on Mast Cell Activation Syndrome in EDS. I am pretty sure there is no such thing. I am afraid this looks like the standard alternative sideshow.

alktipping, FMMM1, Trish and 3 others like this.
  12. FMMM1

FMMM1 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Re Doctors - I think the key thing is that since we don't a disease mechanism/biomarker/diagnostic test/treatments --- not much a Doctor can do constructively -- maybe negatively --- failing to support ---
    I guess some Doctors would suggest we push for research like UK GWAS - Chris Ponting DecodeME - currently recruiting!

Jacob Richter, Kitty, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  13. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Kitty, Dolphin and Peter Trewhitt like this.