1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Metabolic fingerprinting for diagnosis of fibromyalgia and other rheumatologic disorders (2018) Hackshaw et al.

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Cheshire, Dec 20, 2018.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

(Paragraph breaks are mine)

Open access: http://www.jbc.org/content/early/2018/12/06/jbc.RA118.005816.long

Sid, ahimsa, obeat and 16 others like this.
  2. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Very interesting! Could they be holding back the identity of specifics because of a possible patent on a diagnostic test kit in the future? Or too soon for that...probably.

ukxmrv likes this.
  3. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

From the discussion section of the paper:

"This study assessed the feasibility of vibrational spectroscopy to differentiate individuals with FM from those with several other rheumatic conditions including RA, SLE, and OA.

In addition, we wanted to determine if various degrees of severity of FM were biochemically distinguishable from each other using a novel means of rapid detection. Advantages of such a methodology, if developed and honed to reproducibility, would be a capability for identifying specific treatment subsets for FM as well as identifying new targets as differentiated from each other metabolically by spectroscopy (UV-vis, MS, and vibrational).

The results of the study found a unique Raman spectral signature that clustered all subjects into classes (FM, RA, and SLE) with no misclassifications. The discriminating power was dominated by vibrations of the backbone in proteins and nucleic acids, and also indicated mineral differences in blood as biomarker."

Does anyone know anything about vibrational spectroscopy? Is this a real thing?

The methods section seems kinda complicated.

Aroa, andypants, obeat and 1 other person like this.
  4. ahimsa

ahimsa Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I don't have any more information, and can't answer the question asked by @Snowdrop - but I thought I'd post a link to a news article about this paper just in it has any helpful information.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/03/190318084127.htm

I thought this was a good sign (so many researchers seem to want to skip this step):
    I have two different friends with a Fibromyalgia diagnosis. I'd be interested in whether this study looks promising before I pass on the news to them.

5. leokitten

leokitten Senior Member (Voting Rights)

andypants likes this.
  6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

article in Ohio State University news
    Experimental blood test accurately spots fibromyalgia
    Study finds unique ‘molecular signature’ for often-misdiagnosed disease
    https://news.osu.edu/experimental-b...Nqb4CBlYYKx8cShnorR8ihprQv_WmrbJ95vaGqP341VBY

Kitty, shak8, oldtimer and 1 other person like this.
  7. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

shak8, Sean and Kitty like this.