1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

"Mercy for Millions" ME/CFS by Kate Lucas

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by MsUnderstood, Apr 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. MsUnderstood

MsUnderstood Senior Member (Voting Rights)

While "Googling", the following commentary showed up as a press release ( NewsReleaseWire.com ) and is timely, leading up to awareness day next month:

https://www.expertclick.com/NewsRel...ephalomyelitisChronic-Fatigue,2018156745.aspx

A few excerpts:

"If you've never heard of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) then you're not alone. If you've heard of it, yet don't understand it then you're the majority."

"When I was diagnosed with ME/CFS more than a year ago my doctor gave me a pamphlet for ME/CFS, and offered no beneficial help to how I could fight it. He recommended (CBT) Cognitive Behavioral Therapy as treatment for this illness or to engage in (GET) Graded Exercise Therapy. I was very familiar with CBT and shocked that this was a treatment option for the physical illness. I have a Bachelor's of Science in Psychology and a Master's of Science in Mental Health Counseling and I couldn't believe that CBT was recommended as a form of treatment for this physical disease. Nobody gets diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis, Lyme disease, Lupus, or other physical illnesses and are told to get CBT as a form of treatment. CBT is a great tool for dealing with psychological symptoms and disorders including depression and anxiety caused by an illness. Mental factors are not the causal factor of ME/CFS."

"We are not in bed due to lack of motivation, fear, laziness, some kind of psychological illness, or my personal favorite, a lack of positive thinking. Being in my bed and watching my dreams dissipate is not what I had envisioned for my life. We often get blamed for our illness in different subtle forms. Unnessesary shame and guilt surround this illness, which is only exacerbated by those who have careless disregard when it comes to the severity of ME/CFS."