Mention of ME in "Fear of Progress" article on CleanTechnica site

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by ScottTriGuy, Nov 27, 2019.

1. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"This is also a facet in medical science — diseases are often considered psychosomatic by default until a diagnostic test or mechanism is discovered and proven, over and over again. From heart disease to ulcers to multiple sclerosis to myalgic encephalomyelitis and more, new ideas took years and even generations to gain acceptance, yet the discredited BS from beforehand persists to this day in the minds of many."

https://cleantechnica.com/2019/11/25/fear-of-progress/

It may be helpful to all to click through to the article so that it stays prominent on their site.

rainy, EzzieD, Comet and 29 others like this.
  2. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Phew... Reading the title, I thought that was going to be yet another article accusing us of being science deniers!

EzzieD, inox, Lisa108 and 17 others like this.
  3. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In the comments the author considers the possibility that commentary 'trolls' are some of the people who fear progress.

Well, thanks to this Dave Barry guy for the ME mention. Much appreciated.

4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yeah I was literally preparing a retort in my head. Pleasantly surprised, especially as it was framed perfectly as the exact same mistake as done with peptic ulcers and MS.

There are many comments already so it will probably get lost in the mix but I wanted to give a nod to the nod:

Mithriel, EzzieD, inox and 9 others like this.
  5. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The author replied to my comment and learned about ME from Unrest. Advocacy works. A little. But it does.

brf, Ebb Tide, obeat and 13 others like this.
  6. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

This is important.

You can never know for sure which bits of scientific critique and broader advocacy will be the important ones. Just have to keep trying and improving them, and eventually some connections will be made and a trigger point reached.

rvallee, Mij, Ebb Tide and 5 others like this.