1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 18th March 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Meeting the Burden of Self-management: Qualitative Study Investigating the Empowering Behaviors of Patients and Informal Caregivers, 2022, Duncan et a

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by mango, Dec 3, 2022.

1. mango

mango Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Meeting the Burden of Self-management: Qualitative Study Investigating the Empowering Behaviors of Patients and Informal Caregivers

Therese Scott Duncan, Jon Engström, Sara Riggare, Maria Hägglund, Sabine Koch

Abstract

Background:
    Patient empowerment is an important concept and a movement toward person-centered care of patients with chronic conditions. Nevertheless, to date, most research on empowered patients or informal caregivers has been conducted from a narrow clinical perspective. Such research has mainly focused on how health care professionals can empower patients to increase self-care or compliance with treatment. Research on empowered patient and informal caregiver needs and self-empowering activities is scarce.

Objective:
    We aimed to explore empowering behaviors from a patient and informal caregiver perspective in the context of self-management and to understand how health care can support such behaviors better.

Methods:
    We used an exploratory, qualitative study design. A total of 15 semistructured interviews and 6 focus group interviews were conducted with 48 patients and informal caregivers. We analyzed the interviews using thematic analysis and used a directed content analysis to analyze the focus group interviews.

Results:
    A total of 14 patterns of empowering behaviors were identified that were characterized by several exploratory and influencing activities performed by the participants. The participants expressed a desire to be more active in their care than what is expected and supported by health care professionals. The participants also desired better support for activities imposed on them by health care professionals.

Conclusions: To enable a transformation of the health care system to better support self-empowering behaviors, there is a need to develop self-management approaches from a patient and informal caregiver perspective.

Keywords
    behaviors; chronic conditions; model of illness-related work; empowerment; self-management

https://jopm.jmir.org/2022/1/e39174

MSEsperanza, Hutan, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  2. mango

Here's an interview with one of the co-authors (in Swedish):

Karolinska Institutet: Ny publikation om spetspatienters egenvård- ur deras eget perspektiv
    https://ki.se/lime/ny-publikation-om-spetspatienters-egenvard-ur-deras-eget-perspektiv

3. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Self-management of chronic illness is not empowerment. It's pretty much the exact opposite, it serves to trivialize and as an excuse to do nothing.

Empowerment means power. We have no power. In the context of healthcare, we have negative power, we are constantly bullied and talked over, we can't even argue the facts because the facts are disputed, debated endlessly by people who know nothing about us and have no stake in anything that happens to us. Power means influence, being able to affect outcomes, to move and assign resources where they are needed.

It's insulting to pretend that blatant tokenism is empowerment.

4. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This one is worth a EDIT: closer read when I have more time and brain but certainly doesn't seem to be the worst on the subject, with the potential to be a move forward - I say this with so many caveats not having read the details of what details they gleaned and conclusions they drew from that (given as we know these can often be pretty removed)

In the discussion there is the following, which feels more respectful - albeit familiar buzzword language I've seen elsewhere (but guess that is par for the course to get read) - than others in tone and content:
    And the methodology would be worth a read, because if it is on the right track (which it feels more so than some others), then picking out where it has been good is surely a worthwhile exploit.

If there really is something that could be starting a shift to noting that patient-centric = top-down from patients rather than writing someone's name on your generic worksheet and getting your favourite patient to sit on a talking heads box-tick fait a compli patient involvement thing then brilliant. We need to start working out what roadmaps might look like.

As we've seen there have been issues with some claiming they want to involve us then being very selective about only the most compliant and fake excuses to exclude those who might not be yes men or who might dare to say what is needed (not impolitely but to some anything that isn't favourable as feedback is contrued as that). I can't help but wonder whether there is some benefit that this is being done including ME but not making us the only condition in the research - as I wonder whether having tht approach to so many conditions might reveal that as an attitude issue not of the patients but those claiming to want to work with them etc.

Edit: when you add in looking at some of the tables more closely then this could potentially be useful for noting the term of activist is both misused in certain contexts as 'a bad thing' and something that needs to be actively sought/considered/not excluded at least (along with other types, dependent on knowledge needed) - where the definition appropriate - in designing services and solutions

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022
    Trish, RedFox, Sean and 2 others like this.
  5. mango

Are you commenting on the study or on the word "empowerment"?

Riggare has done some really great and important work as an expert patient, as well as for and about expert patients ("spetspatienter") here in Sweden. Her articles are well worth a read.

One easy way to get more familiar with her work and her perspective on expert patients is to follow her on Twitter:
    https://twitter.com/SaraRiggare

This website is very informative too:
    https://www.spetspatienterna.se/in-english/

Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    MSEsperanza, Hutan, Sean and 5 others like this.
  6. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The use of the word empowerment in particular, but also in general the idea that self-management amounts to anything other than negligence leading to needless suffering and early death for millions. We do not "self-manage" this because it's the best way, a good way, or any way to deal with this. We endure because there is nothing else. This is negligence, a true dystopian nightmare. There's nothing inspiring or cutesy about it, it's lived horror.

In fact we need actual empowerment. This is what would change everything, the premise of nothing about us without us, which medicine has clearly and wholly rejected. There is simply no overlap between enduring illness as a result of negligence and pseudoscience, and empowering patients in a meaningful way that leads to better real life outcomes.

Maybe it's only an issue of wording, and maybe some of it is lost in translation, but words being detached from their meaning, words with multiple ambiguous meanings deployed to mislead on purpose and other issues with basic vocabulary are extremely problematic in medicine, so it's especially important to not fall for the same trap that condemned us.

I see this in a similar sense as articles published over the decades about us, that "things are changing". No, they were not, and pretending was actually part of the problem, just as pretending that having to endure chronic illness and all its consequences has anything to do with empowering patients, rather than criminal negligence. The power imbalance for us is so total and what's needed is so far above this that it ends up doing more harm than good to pretend otherwise.

7. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

It's one of those things that can be used either way. Done well and for the right reasons it can be good. Done badly and for the wrong reasons it can be a disaster.

Lilas, Hutan, Michelle and 4 others like this.
  8. mango

I have to admit I'm finding some of the comments in this thread confusing.

In short, this is about changing unhelpful and harmful power structures.

For years Riggare has been putting her words into action—showing that she means what she says by actively doing it herself; as a patient, expert patient and researcher.

A major part of Riggare's work is about finding ways to increase patient participation in order to improve healthcare and patient safety, both on an individual and system level. It's about challenging power structures and urging healthcare professionals to start recognising and respecting patients' knowledge and agency. It's about consent and better informed decisions.

It's about patient participation and collaboration. It's about recognising how valuable patient researchers can be.

It's about the urgent need for the harmful power structures to change, for the broken system to learn to welcome knowledgeable patients as a valuable resource and to learn from them, to include them, and to put their knowledge and lived experience to use in helping shape better and safer healthcare for everyone.

It's about giving power and agency back to the patients, making them (us!) an active part in changing how the system works. And so much more.

For those of you not already familiar with Riggare's work, here are a list of some of her publications:
    https://www.riggare.se/my-publications/

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    Lilas, NelliePledge, Amw66 and 7 others like this.
  9. Ravn

Ravn Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I have to admit I find the language of social science papers off-putting though this wasn't anywhere near as bad as most. And the term empowerment sets my teeth on edge.

However, in this case empowerment is best understood as patients fighting dis-empowerment.

This paper is not about ME, interviewees had a wide variety of chronic illnesses. There was at least one with ME but many of the others had entirely non-contested illnesses at least some of which do have treatments. So this shouldn't be read through a narrow ME lens.

But even for this wider group with mostly uncontested illnesses the paper describes paternalistic power structures weighted against patients that often hamper patients' efforts to have some control over the management of their own illness.

Admittedly I've never quite understood the practical purpose of papers like this. I have a feeling they don't get read much outside a narrow circle but if I'm wrong and they do have an impact I wouldn't be worried about this one at all. It reads like a fair description of what patients have to live with.

Published in the Journal of Participatory Medicine.

NelliePledge, Hutan, Michelle and 6 others like this.
  10. bobbler

bobbler Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To use a wildcard to try and bring light to this (in the medical context) there was a BBC travel show bit on a DJ who had recently been diagnosed with diabetes 1 going to Ibiza - and all the difficulty involved with combining travel with 'self-management' : https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001g04p/the-travel-show-49-ibiza-vs-type-one-diabetes
    the segment is at 1min in

I think that looking at the equipment this gent had such as the continual glucose monitor which he could use his phone to track his levels etc and obviously the proper treatment and medication and understanding of this condition scientifically and medically to date did have to combine with his own 'self-management'.

It's quite interesting when you look at it through the lens of ME, because he notes early on that routine has been pretty key in managing the condition but obviously travel makes that impossible - at that point I probably inserted my own assumptions such as 'because your body itself goes more haywire just from the exertion of different wake-up times, exertions, temperature, rest quality and so on'

EDIT: but obviously he had treatment and tools to make it more possible (whereas indeed we've been undermined even in our own scratching round attempts to limit harm and treatment to help us is a laugh)

It also gave me one of those moments where you think of how I can have days where I struggle to wake and even then move, and how far diabetes has come if you potentially imagine understanding from the dark ages if noone ever investigated and just looked at 'behaviour' from a rather biased and unkind outsiders perspective.

Many angles in the discussion/to think of here in relation to this sort of thing, such as the need/want/expectation to have a life and developing solutions that make that more possible rather than just self-management instruction being to 'live within a box you can manage without these tools' (the monitor on your arm some get, whilst others are still stuck with the finger prick every so often method and instruction on how to use routine and 'advice on behaviour').

I'm intrigued whether there might have been historically or even now a tendency for patients who didn't control well to get the blame rather than it be seen as how treatment needed to update to the needs of the patient - or such issues being red flags that not all diabetes is as straightforward as some etc.

So the term self-management is hugely loaded depending on who it is used by and their attitude ie whether they intend to 'make it more manageable for all needs out there in the world and are interested in those who have more difficult conditions or lives that mean it can't bend to strict regimes suggested' or just use it as a 'responsibility: that's your bit argument'.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
  11. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The choice of words used in the abstract stink, from where I am at. Basically you are empowered if you are compliant to treatment- 2 opposing concepts in my view. You are empowered if you are self managing successfully and if you have "gained power" over your disease. What happened to those whose disease won? Loser? Non-compliant? Must be their fault? Didn't do it right? Didn't have the right attitude? Didn't have money to pay for extra services to manage the disease (physio, massage, whatever) ?

I get what you are saying but would suggest that "an excuse to do nothing" is from the health care professionals or decision maker viewpoint. They feel that self-management is everything- and basically built entire patient curriculums on how to manage illness, and it has taken so much space that there is no room (or money) at all for biomedical care. And the decision makers and funders? They love it. It costs much less than offering drug therapies to the patients, particularly in the era of biologics, where a course of treatment would easily cost 100,000$ or more.

Empowering patients is very much a psycho-social and holistic conceptualization of chronic disease management, and it stinks.

Peter Trewhitt, bobbler and Sean like this.
  12. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

I have read the whole paper. It's a bit hard to read because I find the allocation of single words to describe different aspects of the way we manage illness rather trite and unhelpful, but I guess that's how social scientist academics work. I prefer reading the patients' and carers' words unfiltered.

Having said that, I don't really understand why some comments are being so critical. I think we need to be careful of jumping on words in abstacts we don't like and reacting without reading the whole context and intention of the research.

The whole point of this paper is to step away from clinician led discussion of patient empowerment and hand it back to patients to tell from their point of view. Surely that's a good thing.

They specifically recruited people who classified themselves as expert patients - ones who had been able to use their knowledge and efforts to influence the management of their illness - by reading research, discussing with other patients, acting as mentors, writing about their experience, using self tracking of symptoms and signs to help adjust daily self management, joining advocacy groups to campaign for better care, participating in research projects, speaking to clinicians at conferences and individually to educate them about managing their disease from a patient's perspective - all the sort of things we on this forum try to do.

I think it is valuable to have that perspective researched and written up. The idea being that it puts a positive view of the role of expert patients in improving clinicians' understanding of the realities of day to day management of illness from the perspective of patients, so clinicians will hopefully be more willing to listen to, and more able to better support, patients in future.

Lilas, Sean, RedFox and 6 others like this.
  13. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

That patient empowerment has often just been about how clinicians can increase compliance is one of the points the authors make in the abstract though - the authors are saying 'that's not nearly good enough'. I agree that there should not be such a need for self-management as there currently is in ME/CFS, but even in other diseases, there is a valid role for those patients and carers who want to be more involved in their care than most patients.

This paper looks at how people with a disease and their carers can push medical care forward, and advocates for changes that might make this easier and more productive. This paper isn't saying that every patients should have to undertake these activities, it's just recognising that undertaking these activities has value. That seems like a reasonable stance to me.

shak8, Lilas, rvallee and 8 others like this.
  14. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thank you @Trish and @Hutan for sharing your views. I did not go any further than the abstract. When I read this though, I see through the lens of someone who's been sick for a decade and who had to self-manage, understand what is going on in my body, and "fight" with doctors throughout the course of this disease. That someone is also involved in advocacy and it really really kills me when I read that being empowered to self manage is the way to go. I just can't do it anymore.

I would gladly submit to more 2 days exercise tests, spinal taps, bone marrow biopsies, muscle biopsies (IE painful procedures) in order to understand the disease and contribute to science.

I just can't stand health care professionals who want to take care of my soul and want to get me into group sessions because they say, everyone needs to be educated. I don't want to be educated. And I am empowered enough.

Now I speak for myself and not for others. To each their own. I understand that others love their group sessions and need to understand their symptoms or learn about coping and managing their symptoms. But in my opinion, the explanations and recommendations they are given by health care professionals can be construed as non-eviedence based. Meditation and biofeedback are not going to cure you, and I am not sure I agree that the FODMAP diet or low inflammation diet is proven to be useful for patients with ME. And very honestly, not sure exactly why posture work is part of the education curriculum for patients with ME.

Anyways. The trigger is there for me. We deserve so much better. (This is a general thought. I did not read the paper and they may have good arguments there for all kinds of diseases and for N=1's context.

bobbler, Hutan, Sean and 5 others like this.
  15. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Thanks for your thoughtful response, @Milo. If empowering patients and self management meant all the stuff about psychology and group therapy and quackery as you describe, I'd agree with you 100%. But I don't think that's what the paper is about.

What I want is a clinician who understands all there is to know about ME/CFS, takes my sympoms and disabilities seriously, does whatever testing is going to help me find any symptomatic treatments that might help if there are any, and treats me as an equal in working out what I need from them and what I can do myself to live as well as I can within the constraints of ME. I would call that empowering to me as a patient.

Hutan, Milo, Sean and 4 others like this.