1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Medscape: COVID Vaccines Linked to Functional Neurological Disorders

Discussion in 'Other psychosomatic news and research' started by Milo, Aug 23, 2021.

1. Milo

Milo Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Not a recommendation nor an endorsement.

Link to article here

COVID Vaccines Linked to Functional Neurological Disorders

Exerpts:

So that’s what’s going on, they are worried about the impact. Not worried about what's wrong with these women. (Note, I am not anti-vax, i absolutely support widespread vaccination)

Of course their N=2 case study involves women who may be inventing themselves some side effects. It is absolutely suspicious that it was sudden onset too. (Dripping sarcasm)

it goes on…
    Another nugget:

sebaaa, Snow Leopard, Mij and 5 others like this.
  2. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Just what I needed (not). Still having problems walking after my AZ over 4 months ago.
    It was a different effect than my normal ME walking problem.

Sisyphus, sebaaa, TrixieStix and 15 others like this.
  3. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

FND involves a disruption in normal brain mechanisms for controlling the body.

I wish I could be that certain about anything.

overt inconsistency, as typically observed in patients with FND

Not sure why inconsistency is so definitive a symptom. Normal human lives are full of inconsistency.

Besides, I don't think those promoting this kind of model are in a position to be preaching about the importance of consistency.

In such instances, one of the important mechanisms is the attention drawn to the body.

Pathological perception of and preoccupation with 'normal' bodily sensations. Abnormal interoception.

Sounds familiar.

Sisyphus, sebaaa, Amw66 and 11 others like this.
  4. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Inconsistencies just mean it is different from anything else as it would be if it was a different illness! What we have with FND is thousands of patients with similar groups of "inconsistent" symptoms.

If they only considered fever as meaning infection they would have found major inconsistencies in the course of infections and said they must be psychologically induced instead of realising they were caused by different bacteria.

He calls FND an illness "that sits at the intersection of neurology and psychiatry." which is strangely reminiscent of the declaration thirty odd years ago that ME was an illness "that sits at the intersection of physical disease and psychiatry."

If I was told a baby was born that was part human and part plant I would need overwhelming evidence to believe it so there needs to be overwhelming evidence before it should be accepted that a disease is somehow on the intersection.

Yet there is no evidence at all just an assertion we are expected to believe because they say so.

5. Milo

Often times i come across patients with ME that seek answers and want to be referred to a neuro under the premise that ME is classified by the WHO as a neuro illness. To me it is a mere opportunity to be diagnosed with FND, particularly if you are a woman. Neurologists can do little more than a EMG, neuro exam and send for MRI. If all of that is normal, you get sent back to your GP, potentially with a FND diagnosis.

TrixieStix, Lidia, Dolphin and 8 others like this.
  6. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Yep 3 or 4 years ago on social media group where I used to live I was told by someone who already had ME/CFS diagnosis (can’t remember what they used) that a consultant had told them they had FND and that is the umbrella that CFS, fibro etc come under.

7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

A similar article got published in Canadian news media: https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coron...o-covid-19-vaccines-experts-explain-1.5557342.

They don't seem able to consider the possibility of asymptomatic, or so mildly symptomatic it went unnoticed, cases being worsened by the vaccine, a relatively common thing that, thanks to medicine's obsession with toxic positivity, they are probably unaware of. It's impossible to tell what % they make but obviously a significant fraction does. "Reassurance" by lie is just about the worst possible way to do this, even in normal times but especially during a public health crisis.

As for the rest it's not even a controversial issue that vaccines can cause immune reactions, it's literally why vaccine centers have people wait around for a bit before they leave. All this does is fuel anti-vaccination conspiracy theories. There is no better way to convince people that you are a complete bullshitter than telling them that something that regularly happens and shouldn't be controversial is "hysteria". This is exactly how the population loses trust in experts.

This is really all adding up to psychosomatic medicine having effectively been built on what is essentially the immune system. What a disaster.

8. Ariel

Ariel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Functional neurological disorder after vaccination: a balanced approach informed by history
    Author(s):
    Stefanie C Linden, Alan J Carson, Simon Wessely

"Reports, incorporating video footage, of neurological symptoms such as paralysis and seizures as a complication of SARS-CoV-2 vaccination are circulating on social media and have caught the attention of the professional community...

Immunisation stress-related responses (ISRR) have been observed in different cultures, particularly in children and adolescents. Their occurrence is influenced by societal factors such as coverage of vaccination programmes in the media. Two basic sets of symptoms have been distinguished:3

1. Dizziness, headache, fainting; resolving within 24 hours; often in close-knit groups.
    2. Shaking, twitching, difficulties walking; lasting weeks to months.
    Both reactions can become contagious, through direct or social media contact, and then conceptualised as examples of ‘mass sociogenic illness’ (MSI). The ease with which ISRR can spread through direct or virtual social contacts may be related to the undercurrent of vaccination hesitancy that is present to a varying degree during most vaccination campaigns.4 The link between ISRR and HPV vaccination in teenage girls seems to be particularly strong, with functional symptoms occurring in clusters after HPV vaccination programmes in different countries..."

[CONCLUSION]
    It is important to increase awareness that FND is a possible explanation for neurological symptoms after vaccination not only to facilitate early treatment but also to prevent the occurrence of ISRR clusters, which could potentially form through the contagious use of social media.3 Providing accurate information about vaccination risk is one of the key elements of the current public health agenda. Using the right language is another. Some people experiencing functional reactions will deny any role of stress, and it is important for the therapeutic process to find an explanatory model that satisfies both the clinician and the patient.

These are some highlights; maybe deserves own thread. I couldn't find one. Yikes.
    ETA: I couldn't find the thread sorry! :/

https://www.rcpe.ac.uk/college/jour...-after-vaccination-balanced-approach-informed

Thread on this paper here

Last edited: Dec 24, 2021
    Sean and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  9. Samuel

Samuel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

yes yes, succubi and incubi are always out there.

it is not as if there is any need to investigate further.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
    chrisb, Amw66 and Sean like this.
  10. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1454617058088521734

Sisyphus, EzzieD, Ariel and 13 others like this.
  11. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I do not have ME/CFS, rather I was misdiagnosed with ME/CFS for some years (actually have a rare autoimmune disease). I received one single dose of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine back in late April and not only did it make me flu-like sick for 24 hours I also experienced episodes of dizziness for a week afterwards.

Binkie4, ukxmrv, Wyva and 4 others like this.
  12. Milo

Good to hear from you @TrixieStix, how are you doing?

Binkie4, TrixieStix, oldtimer and 2 others like this.
  13. TrixieStix

TrixieStix Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Thanks for asking :). I'm hanging in there. October marked 4 years since my diagnosis of Relapsing Polychondritis (and also UCTD) and I've been on a daily regimen of Prednisone, Hydroxychloroquine and Leflunomide to treat it just about as long. Thankfully the medications have decreased the severity of my day to day symptoms, but of course I do get flare ups. Almost a year ago I had my first ever serious flare that affected my upper airway (swelling) that was quite frightening (high doses of Prednisone remedied it). The weather seems to really affect me, with fall and winter hitting me hard, once the rainy cold weather hits here in the Pacific Northwest I see a big decrease in my level of function and my joint and nerve pain increases substantially. My rheumatologist has urged me to try and find a way to spend winters somewhere warm and dry, but seeing as I'm disabled and cannot work money is in short supply (if I am lucky enough to inherit some $$ eventually maybe I can make it happen). For now I am making due with what I have. I spend my days with my 4 dogs (recently went from 1 dog to 4, that's a whole story in itself. Lol) out here in the forest, watching too much tv, eating too much dark chocolate, and staying up too late. :)

Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
    Binkie4, Wyva, Trish and 5 others like this.
  14. Milo

Thank you for updating @TrixieStix. I am also in the PNW and we’ve pretty much had all the varieties of extreme weather this year alone including this current Arctic cold snap. The good news is that the days are getting longer. Best wishes!

15. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Is it just me, but given the authors -
    The existence of this paper perhaps suggests a need for the existence of this paper.

There ia a problem and this is part of the means of 'disppearing it' in the time honoured fashion.

Given both the novelty of new vaccines and the sheer numbers vaccinated ( many with pre existing conditions ) and a rapidly mutating virus it should not be a surprise that there could be adverse events and lingering effects .
    The unknown is the % .

Peter Trewhitt, Mithriel and chrisb like this.
  16. chrisb

chrisb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The article appears to demand a close analysis of the use of the words "perceived" and "involuntary" as they appear in FND is distinct from feigning because patients perceive their symptoms as involuntary.

It is hardly worth considering an article which discusses matters in such vague terms. Is an action which is performed "unconsciously" or without "perception" of "voluntary" action a voluntary action? Perhaps it might be, but how does one delineate the usage. It seems to be saying one thing but implying another.

Sean, Milo, Arnie Pye and 4 others like this.
  17. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, I've noticed that a lot of FND language insists symptoms are involuntary but talk as if they are choices, though often by the "brain" rather than the person - so much for saying it is us who insist on cartesian dualism!

Not only are they invoking Freudian hysteria but also the Freudian unconscious.

Sisyphus, Sean, Milo and 4 others like this.
  18. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

They are invoking excuses for their persistent failures.