1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Medscape CME - A Fresh Look at ME/CFS : Diagnosis and Management of a Multisystem Illness

Discussion in 'Training courses' started by Kalliope, Dec 22, 2021.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Released: 12/21/2021

A Fresh Look at Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: Diagnosis and Management of a Multisystem Illness

This activity is intended for primary care physicians, nurses, nurse practitioners, and other healthcare providers (HCPs) involved in the diagnosis and management of myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME)/chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

The goal of this activity is to increase awareness of the symptoms, diagnosis, and management of ME/CFS.

Upon completion of this activity, participants will:

• Have increased knowledge regarding the
      • Impact of ME/CFS on multiple body systems
      • Symptom recognition of ME/CFS
    • Have greater competence related to
      • Individualizing a treatment plan to manage symptoms associated with ME/CFS

Hutan, Simon M, Michelle and 5 others like this.
  2. Kalliope

Just skimmed this, but looks good.

3. Kalliope

@Tom Kindlon skimmed more thoroughly and shared the following comments on Twitter:

- New CPD course on #MyalgicEncephalomyelitis /#ChronicFatigueSyndrome for healthcare professionals I quickly skimmed the slides & noticed under fatigue "goal-directed & non-fatiguing exercise" which I wouldn't have included. Otherwise, could be good https://medscape.org/viewarticle/964157… #MECFS

- 2/ Unfortunately, under "proposed mechanisms in POTS and OI may overlap those in ME/CFS" it has "Deconditioning: Patients have reduced oxygen uptake Vo2 max; graded exercise therapy improves tachycardia with or without symptoms" :-( (little or no evidence in #MEcfs specifically)

He received the following reply from @ahimsa

- What a shame! The study cited (Deconditioning in patients with orthostatic intolerance, Parsaik) is from 2012 and does not seem to mention ME/CFS. There's more recent research showing the opposite in #MEcfs such as this paper:
    https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33947430/

Last edited: Dec 23, 2021