1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms: Why Counseling Psychologists Should Care About Them, 2020, McAndrew et al

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic research - ME/CFS and Long Covid' started by Andy, Feb 6, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Paywall, https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/10.1177/0011000019888874
    Sci hub, https://sci-hub.se/10.1177/0011000019888874

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

At a quick glance through it looked pretty bad, quoting the likes of Deary, Chalder, Sharpe...

Then I was surprised to see this part:
    Note: I have only skimmed the paper, so the following may be wrong:

The general tenor of the paper seems to be a career opportunity by US counsellors to move more into the field of Health Psychology, and get themselves integrated into medical teams to treat MUS with CBT. There seems to be some acknowledgement that using CBT to persuade patients that their 'MUS' symptoms have no physical basis is not a good idea, but they still go on about catastrophising and the biopsychosocial model and getting patients with MUS to gradually increase activity, so it seems to be a mix of directive and supportive CBT with some GET they are suggesting.

I conclude the article is less about good evidence and more about expanding career opportunities.

3. ScottTriGuy

ScottTriGuy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ditto.

And they'll be oblivious to the patient's trauma caused by being repeatedly gaslighted. That's where they'd may actually be helpful instead of further embedding harm.

shak8, Lou B Lou, DokaGirl and 9 others like this.
  4. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Alternative idea: take all the money that could be wasted on this and spend it on competent research focused on solving those symptoms, with people who actually want to solve them, and how they fit in a coherent clinical framework that can actually produce meaningful treatments and impact on quality of life.

At the very most generous best, even if such counseling actually were maximally efficacious (which it isn't), it would only have a tiny impact on patients, no more than 5% and that's extremely generous. This is working at the margins, the equivalent of doing feng-shui on the cells we have been wrongfully imprisoned in. Get us out, instead. Literally nothing else matters.

RedFox, LJord, shak8 and 8 others like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member