1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Medical Independent: Is it just ME or is this a real disease?

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Cheshire, Oct 18, 2017.

1. Cheshire

Cheshire Moderator Staff Member

Solstice, ahimsa, Sly Saint and 12 others like this.
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Guest

The author doesn't seem to have involvement with ME/CFS, but learned about it from the novel written by Nasim Marie Jafry:
    He talks about the downfall of PACE a fair bit, which gives us a look from an outsider's perspective:

Solstice, Jan, Moosie and 9 others like this.
  3. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

Thanks, typo in the title might be worth fixing

Luther Blissett, Andy and Cheshire like this.
  4. JCB

JCB Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There was a person with this name, Dr Marc-Alexander Fluks, on forums I used many years ago. He used to be reasonably well known, I thought. I was away from forums for some years before joining PR so I have no idea about his recent involvement or otherwise.

Deleted member 102 likes this.
  5. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

(Post merged from duplicate thread)

Not sure if many have seen this comment piece from two weeks ago in The Medical Independent, a fortnightly Irish medical journal. I met the science writer by chance during summer and after chatting, he became very interested in PACE, which he was previously unaware of (having worked on blood/Coxsackie himself in virology lab in 80s he was aware of ME but had not followed the story). He hopes to write more on ME and is very tuned into our truth, a real boon to have a writer with his qualities (an actual scientist/biochemist turned writer) on our side.

'George Winter examines the evolution of recognition for myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME)':

http://www.medicalindependent.ie/100315/is_it_just_me_or_is_this_a_real_disease

(*The stock photo and title 'Is ME real disease?', of course, are not the writer's doing, but the substance/subtitle is excellent.)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 31, 2017
    Solstice, ahimsa, Jan and 17 others like this.
  6. Guest 102

Guest 102 Guest

Love the merging, it's like magic - thank you! (you can tell I am not v good at forums).

Valentijn, Cheshire, Jan and 3 others like this.