1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Medical conditions that are well recognized but that (currently) lack a diagnostic biomarker?

Discussion in 'Other health news and research' started by cassava7, Jan 16, 2023.

1. cassava7

cassava7 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As the title asks. “Well recognized” means that the diagnosis is uncontroversial in conventional medicine.

The obvious one is Alzheimer’s but there may be other such syndromes and diseases.

If considered to be neurological diseases, or at least primarily biological in nature, this applies to all mental health illnesses (schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression…).

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    Wyva, Sean, petrichor and 4 others like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I started doing an online search and was surprised to come up with sepsis. But also was surprised to come up with not a lot else in the short term. Will try again later.

Wyva, Sean, petrichor and 3 others like this.
  3. oldtimer

oldtimer Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Migraines

Shadrach Loom, Wyva, rvallee and 4 others like this.
  4. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

The common cold
    Autism
    Tinnitus

5. Binkie4

Binkie4 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hypermobile Ehlers Danlos Syndrome

aka: type #3 Ehlers Danlos

alktipping and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  6. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

The virus can presumably be found, but there's no point doing so for individuals with a cold except to check whether it's Covid-19.

Wyva, Lilas, RedFox and 3 others like this.
  7. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

You could probably put endometriosis in there. Technically it does have a biomarker, it's just very difficult and invasive to do and you need evidence to... look for the evidence. Biomarkers have to be easy, cheap and convenient to use.

Definitely: most back pain and Alzheimer's. I don't think there's one for Parkinson's either.

Really there are many, I'm sure someone has a list of this somewhere.

Also technically depression, but it obviously does not meet the "well-recognized" criteria, being even more heterogenous and vague than even the most generic concept of chronic fatigue.

8. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fibromyalgia
    Interstitial Cystitis

Schizophrenia, Bipolar Affective Disorder, Major Depressive Episode, Anxiety Disorders eg. PTSD, mild traumatic brain injury, cognitive impairment.

(Basically the majority of DSM 5, once “medical” conditions have been excluded, so anything that doesn’t show up on a radiological scan or sample of bodily fluid/tissue or difficult to access or might damage tissue/function on sampling)

Arnie Pye, Lilas, Sean and 7 others like this.
  9. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes - Alzheimer's is still very uncertain. I studied it for my Master's degree, and even after death the pathology isn't clear - there are plaques and tangles but these are also found in people without dementia.

10. SNT Gatchaman

SNT Gatchaman Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Also childhood diseases. See Children as Biomarker Orphans: Progress in the Field of Pediatric Biomarkers (2017) —

A familiar example is necrotising enterocolitis — in practice I am the "biomarker" but I'm not very accurate. See Emerging Biomarkers for Prediction and Early Diagnosis of Necrotizing Enterocolitis in the Era of Metabolomics and Proteomics (2020)

Helene, Sean, hibiscuswahine and 2 others like this.
  11. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Parkinsons?

(I have a couple of aunties who had investigations for years and only a working theory of this until they died)

12. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Ovarian cancer - there is a test but it is not a reliable one and women can end up being dismissed and ignored for ages.

Lung cancer - you can cough yourself sick (literally), lose several stone, be given an X-Ray, and still be told your lungs are absolutely fine, until an MRI is done.

Endometriosis, fibroids, adenomyosis, ovarian cysts - all frequently missed, dismissed, ignored for years.

Eustachian Tube Dysfunction - can't be seen via the ears so gets dismissed.

Back pain - imaging apparently often shows no spinal damage so it is ignored and often disbelieved in.

13. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

14. hibiscuswahine

hibiscuswahine Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Took me ages to work out how you were a biomarker….go radiology! I used to assess physical and mental state without radiology or any test. No surgeon on hand to have a look-see….clinical training and experience is often all we have at hand.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2023