1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

Mechanisms of chronic pain and fatigue [Trial in progress, April 2018]

Discussion in ''Conditions related to ME/CFS' news and research' started by Andy, Apr 20, 2018.

1. shak8

shak8 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

As a former RN (I only mention it because I took a research class) with moderate-severe fibromyalgia, I have to say that getting enough sleep is helpful for the everpresent pain. And yes, 5% more or less is the figure of sufferers. Not all of that 5% have severe fibromyalgia, not by a longshot.

Regarding the UK arthritis study that's been in progress since 2017, they are only studying 25 patients. They are trying to distinguish between those with pain only and those with pain & fatigue. Clinical trials are very expensive.

Thank you for the link to the trial.

What I've found out is that reading abstract or newspapers' renditions of the study in question is that those are highly misleading. I have to read what the researcher has written. I don't know if this research is relevant scientifically or not. One of the stated aims is to improve the way doctors treat patients, give them more credence.

Regarding sleep, yes, it does lessen the pain a bit, for awhile. But like all "treatments" for fibro, nothing works for more than a few minutes, seldom a few hours for the pain, I've found. Not sleep, not opiods.

I hate the psycho-babble on fibro (current CBT mania and mindfulness). Apparently some idiots think that one can wish away the pain.

I guess the people who don't have fibro get excited about anything, anything that has one iota of efficacy, one minute of pain relief. Like my new primary care doc who recommended $massage therapy. I laugh over and over as to how much of the time I would need those hand kneading me, like all my waking hours!

Good for a laugh if it just didn't remind me of how no one can comprehend having pain all the time.

Thanks for sharing these research articles. I look forward to seeing IF and when their results get published.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    rvallee, MeSci, alktipping and 4 others like this.
  2. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

There has, i am sure , been a thread re the typhoid study with Neil Harrison for ME , earlier this year?

MEMarge likes this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

4. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Thread was created 20th April? Neil Harrison's work has been discussed on various threads, from what I can recall I created this thread in order to highlight the actual study taking place.

alktipping, Trish and adambeyoncelowe like this.
  5. Andy

Andy Committee Member

MSEsperanza, rvallee and MEMarge like this.