1. Read all the 'News In Brief' from w/c 21st May. Click to read.
    Dismiss Notice

Measuring School Functioning in Students With Chronic Fatigue Syndrome: A Systematic Review, 2017, Tollit et al

Discussion in 'PsychoSocial ME/CFS News' started by Andy, Dec 11, 2017.

1. Andy

Andy Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Paywalled at http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...ionid=1F1ED7F272617B400941D7A86325CC5A.f02t04

2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Abstract sounds sensible... thus removing my drive to read the paper!

Woolie, Joh, Dolphin and 1 other person like this.
  3. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

To me it beggars belief that in 21st century there is no joined up online educational provision for kids with chronic illnesses. Not even a national online resource ( like moodle in further education) . Current systems do not allow kids to reach their potential - a sad waste

Woolie, ladycatlover, Inara and 12 others like this.
  4. Adrian

Adrian Administrator

It is surprising. Even the free school stuff didn't cover someone setting up an online school.

There are companies offering online education but they are expensive and very hard to get local authority to pay for. Also online tutoring is available privately we did get someone to pay for lessons that way.

Woolie, ladycatlover, Inara and 3 others like this.
  5. Amw66

Amw66 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

We have added issues of having to have a Scottish teaching certificate to teach here. Online companies not interested in added costs for small market. Our school is interested but hemmed in by " procedure", which means nothing happening fast. Tymes Trust and Nissai chipping away, but nothing move fast without a strong political personality to drive change .

Woolie, ladycatlover, Inara and 4 others like this.
  6. MEMarge

MEMarge Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Fortunately our daughter was 16. She needed a tutor for Maths AS level.
    For the geography A level it was a mix of her attending a handful of lessons, copies of another students' notes, getting revision guides/assembling previous Q & As online, plus some Slideshare info on selected topics and us learning it together. She also had a very helpful teacher (also a friend of ours) who spent several hours one weekend explaining the "logistics" of the pre-release paper so that we could prepare for it together. For her final exam another tutor came for 4 separate hours in the Easter holidays and really boosted her confidence and supplied excellent summary notes.

Unfortunately most of the time her cognition has not been up to learning A-level info. She has had 4 periods of improvement on various antibiotics, which have helped her for a few months, both cognitively and stamina wise. She has been able to learn quickly at these times, so has managed an A -level in Geography and an AS in
    Maths. Sadly trying the antibiotics again last autumn did not have the same effect, so she has not studied since 2014.

We are very grateful that she is not bed or housebound and can probably go out a couple of times a week on average.

Woolie, ladycatlover, Inara and 5 others like this.
  7. Mithriel

Mithriel Established Member (Voting Rights)

It is very sad that so many children are too ill to attend school, however it does not give a complete picture and could skew the figures. I became ill after an infection when I was 14 but I never missed any school days because of it. I never felt I had chronic fatigue, never mentioned it as a symptom, I just knew that I would suddenly be unable to move. I had bad muscle pains which made taking notes difficult but I rigged up some bands for my wrists which helped. I had no temperature control and photophobia, but my main symptoms were neurological with bouts of double vision, speech difficulties and "absences" where I would suddenly find myself in a different place. Exercise and games were my biggest problem but I usually managed to wriggle out of them.

I do not want this to be taken the wrong way, I think children now are very ill, but I sometimes wonder if I got away with a lot because we had a general fitness sixty years ago, not a fitness from sport, but just from everyday life. There were very few cars and buses cost too much so I walked miles from the time I left my tansad (pram) about age 4 I think. Then I was allowed to wash underwear in the small sink with a toy washboard while my mother used the big sink and board to wash clothes, floors were scrubbed with a brush and soap once a week, that sort of thing.

For years after I became ill I always found it easier to walk quite far than to stand at a bus stop- until my legs went altogether one afternoon in 1990 :)

Sorry, went off topic, but I suspect that I did more damage to myself by carrying on than I would have if I had been allowed to rest and recognise the need for rest in myself. I dearly hope we get a test which will detect ME in the early days before there is any need to miss schooling.

8. Adrian

Adrian Administrator

I think that we hear of those who are very ill here but there will be a range of different levels of disability.