1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

MEA Website Survey: Physiotherapy and ME | 02 July 2019

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Andy, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Mithriel

Mithriel Senior Member (Voting Rights)

If you can take it, massage is excellent for ME. It has kept me mobile (not walking much but just able to move). My body wants to curl into a ball as all my muscles tighten up. It also helps with the pain.

I wonder if we would benefit from passive movements to stop muscles becoming spastic. There are machines that are used for MS. That might help us if they could be hired out for a trial by physios.

In people who are not so badly affected by POTS, like me, I sometimes think that a fully supportive hoist that kept me upright for a few minutes at a time might stop it getting worse. If physios truly understood ME and the physiological consequences in a pragmatic manner maybe they would have some suggestions.

MEMarge, WillowJ, Yessica and 2 others like this.
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

If there are things that physios can do to help people with Parkinson’s MS etc presumably - with great care not to put people in PEM, and taking account of severity- some of it might be helpful for people with ME, Workwell approach is based on physio isn’t it??

MEMarge, WillowJ, Yessica and 3 others like this.
  3. Medfeb

Medfeb Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This! Any PT needs to take account of the level of severity. And read Rowe's paper that concluded that even passive neuromuscular strain (passive leg raises) can result in PEM

ahimsa, MEMarge, WillowJ and 10 others like this.
  4. WillowJ

WillowJ Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yes, not every person can do every therapy, and it would always have to be modified based on severity and possibly comorbidities.

That being said, deep massage gives me PEM. A very careful massage helps my muscles not to stay cramped. Uncramping them does help for a while.

Also they can do very light range of motion activity, such as spread the balls of the feet that don't get spread when laying down, nor walking slowly.

If they have listened carefully and they ask you to report back on any adverse effects during treatment or that happened afterwards, they can learn what is helpful or not. They can also feel how things are going in your muscles and tendons, if they have enough training. (I will never see someone who doesn't have at least a master degree, after seeing a lot of different people for an injury a long time back.)