1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

MEA Website: Forward ME Letter to The Times: Patients with ME/CFS ‘are not simply “deconditioned” as claimed by many psychiatrists’

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Eagles, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Eagles

Eagles Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Forward ME Letter to The Times: Patients with ME/CFS ‘are not simply “deconditioned” as claimed by many psychiatrists’ | 23 March 2018

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/201...-claimed-by-many-psychiatrists-23-march-2018/

Letter to The Times, 23rd March, 2018.

Treatment for patients with M.E.

Sir,

The article by Tom Whipple, (“Findings of £5m ME chronic fatigue study ‘worthless’,” Mar 22) highlights a long-standing problem.

The National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (Nice) is in the process of replacing its guideline for myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), but this will take time.

Patients with ME/CFS in this country continue to receive damaging treatment in the form of graded exercise therapy (GET). Despite evidence of disabling metabolic abnormalities in their muscles, patients are advised to “exercise back to fitness”.

They are not simply “deconditioned” as claimed by many psychiatrists. Forced exercise above very low levels characteristically incapacitates most patients.

The “exercise will make you better doctrine” applied to ME/CFS is profoundly incorrect and has no scientific evidence base.

The human cost is enormous, with many sufferers from ME/CFS rendered worse by inappropriate medical management.

Even worse, such management is inflicted compulsorily on some patients, both adults and children, with their informed consent being bypassed via the use of mental health and child protection legislation.

Signatures

Countess of Mar, Forward-ME; Dr William Weir, infectious disease consultant; Dr Nigel Speight, paediatrician; Dr Charles Shepherd, ME association; Dr Vance Spence, ME research UK; Jonathan Davies, ME research UK; Dr Gareth Tuckwell, ME trust; Dr Paul Worthley, ME trust; Jane Colby, Tymes trust; Helen Brownlie, 25 per cent ME group; Tanya and Christine Harrison, Brame; William and Janice Kent, Remember; Hannah Clifton, ME trust; Clare Ogden, Action for ME

Dolphin, Yessica, Louie41 and 30 others like this.
  2. NelliePledge

NelliePledge Moderator Staff Member

Dolphin, Yessica, Louie41 and 15 others like this.
  3. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

Am I correct that this letter has been sent to the Times, but we wait to see whether they will publish it?

Good letter. Thanks to all organisations and individuals involved.

4. Russell Fleming

Russell Fleming Senior Member (Voting Rights)

No. It was published early this morning, both in the online edition (see link above) and in the print edition.

Dolphin, Yessica, Louie41 and 17 others like this.
  5. Sasha

Sasha Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Well done and thank you to all the individuals and charities concerned. :balloons:

Dolphin, Yessica, Louie41 and 11 others like this.
  6. Awol

Awol Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I like the way the petition uses the hybrid term CBT/GET as the CBT protocol for ME/CFS incorporates the ideas behind GET, and as the petition is addressed to Mark Baker, this is a useful resource/reference, correspondence between Mark Baker and Invest in ME Research following the latter's request that NICE remove the recommendations for CBT and GET immediately from the existing guidelines due to the possible deleterious effects on people with ME: http://www.investinme.org/IIMER-Newslet-1801-01.shtml