1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

ME/CFS SKeptic: A new blog series on the dark history of psychosomatic medicine

Discussion in 'Psychosomatic theories and treatments discussions' started by ME/CFS Skeptic, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Wyva

Wyva Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I often also see this as: motivated, competitive, aggressive Type A personality = patients who don't agree with me about this CFS thing.

But otherwise yes, you can fit almost everyone in those two categories if you try hard enough.

Arnie Pye, Michelle, sebaaa and 10 others like this.
  2. DokaGirl

DokaGirl Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another thought about being called Type A by that psych of long ago: here I was with an OK career, with one degree, being aggressively accused by someone with two degrees, and much better pay, that I was ambitious, competitive and aggressive.

Hhmmm......

Arnie Pye, Michelle, MEMarge and 11 others like this.
  3. cfsandmore

cfsandmore Senior Member (Voting Rights)

In 1993 or 94, Dr. Cheney said there was a link between type A personality and CFS. He said I was a type A.

Arnie Pye, DokaGirl and Helene like this.
  4. DokaGirl

Absolutely, yes. I recall, the psychologist I saw over 30 years ago, felt very strongly that "cfs" was a mental health issue caused by a problematic personality type. I presented it as a physiological disease. This was aggressively disagreed with by the psych.

5. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Missense, Lilas, Trish and 2 others like this.
  6. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

:rofl: The summary is indeed quite something.
    The things humans are able to believe, and convince others of, continues to surprise me.

DokaGirl, Milo, Missense and 6 others like this.
  7. ME/CFS Skeptic

DokaGirl and Hutan like this.
  8. Hutan

Hutan Moderator Staff Member

If any of us should ever feel despondent at the limited impact we have made on the world, we can think of Angel Garma, and console ourselves with the knowledge that our life's work did not consist of producing and promoting fantastical drivel that harmed many people.

DokaGirl, Mithriel, Missense and 12 others like this.
  9. ME/CFS Skeptic

Broadly, psychosomatic medicine changed into biopsychosocial model somewhere around the 1970s while psychoanalysis was replaced by cognitive behavioral therapy.

Given how absurd psychoanalytic theory was, I guess many students of psychoanalytic oriented professors must feel that great progress has been made during their careers. If you started out learning about "genital instinctive gratification" and "fear of genital castration" as the causes of peptic ulcer, then suggesting fear avoidance as a cause of medically unexplained symptoms might seem quite rational.

10. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

WTH did I just read? This is genuinely QAnon level of holy crap.

11. Lilas

Lilas Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I am speechless... :jawdrop: Well, it seems that psychoanalysis has something of the secret of a sect, since despite the many decades that have passed (this journal dates from 1950 !), it is still impossible to consult it unless you buy it. I only found the following article by the same author on this subject, but in French (use google translation to read it in English :)). Although the review is from 2007, references in this article range from 1934 to 1958, and Angel Garma appears to have died in 1993.
    https://www.cairn.info/revue-francaise-de-psychosomatique-2004-2-page-7.htm#no1

12. ME/CFS Skeptic

It says: "Le texte a été publié en 1961 dans la Revue française de psychanalyse"

So it was published in 1961 in another journal.

13. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Last edited: May 1, 2022
  14. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My father had rheumatoid arthritis, and

"repressed hostility, a domineering personality and a rejection of the feminine role in society" fits him very well! Except that the hostility wasn't very well repressed.

That said, it was probably nothing to do with his rheumatoid arthritis!

15. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

DokaGirl likes this.
  16. ME/CFS Skeptic

Arnie Pye and Trish like this.
  17. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member (Voting Rights)

"In the past, rheumatoid arthritis was sometimes described as a psychosomatic condition. This view was inspired by the periods of subsidence and recurrence seen in patients with the illness. Many thought that such fluctuations were due to psychosocial factors.
    The foremost proponent of this view was Franz Alexander. Working at the Chicago Institute for Psychoanalysis, the Hungarian-born Alexander was one of the leading figures in the American psychosomatic movement. In a 1947 paper, he and his colleagues lied the groundwork for a psychosomatic theory of rheumatoid arthritis."

My bolding - is that what you call a Freudian slip?

18. DokaGirl

"Well, this theory must be right, it uses an impressive word salad."

:wtf::banghead::grumpy:

19. ME/CFS Skeptic

Thanks for highlighting!

20. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I knew someone with severe rheumatoid arthritis over many years. Their joints were swollen, and finger joints looked as though they had marbles growing in them. I find it impossible to believe that such effects could be psychosomatic, and I find it incredible that anyone could take such ideas seriously.

NelliePledge, MeSci, bobbler and 7 others like this.