1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 8th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

ME/CFS: NDIS and the disability hurdle (2018) Hallmann (Australia)

Discussion in 'Work, Finances and Disability Insurance' started by Tom Kindlon, Dec 29, 2018.

1. Tom Kindlon

Tom Kindlon Senior Member (Voting Rights)

2. Trish

Trish Moderator Staff Member

CFS/ME International Conference 2018 National Centre for Neuroimmunology and Emerging Diseases Qld 26-27 November 2018

Abstract Title: ME/CFS: NDIS and the Disability Hurdle

Authors: Geoffrey Hallmann

merylg, oldtimer, Sean and 12 others like this.
  3. ME/CFS Skeptic

ME/CFS Skeptic Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Wow if that misunderstanding of the dubbo studies is true, that would be some really scary stupidity.

The dubbo study showed that six months after having certain types of infections (EBV, Q fever etc.) around 10% met diagnostic criteria for CFS. NDIS apparently interpreted this falsely as only 10% of CFS patients still having CFS after six months. They thought this proved CFS is not a chronic condition worthy of longterm disability payments...

Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  4. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Indeed, except that stupidity as transparent as that might turn out to be indefensible in the face of appeal.

5. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member (Voting Rights)

This is really upsetting and disappointing. There aren't many people with ME or CFS who need NDIS services, but those who do need them, need such services badly (because they're mostly bed-bound!)

6. pteropus

pteropus Senior Member (Voting Rights)

the NDIS are very keen to avoid setting a precedent for future claims.

from a local newspaper, discussing *ALL* NDIS claims (ie not just pwME):

"It gets just before the court date, and they settle outside the court in order to avoid precedents,” she said.

“At the last minute, the families are given what they want. This year, if we want to get a similar level of support, we would have to go right through that again because there hasn’t been precedents made. They are absolutely dragging it out,” Ms Noon said. “We’re taking some very overstretched, over-stressed families and putting them through a really exhausting process.”

The NDIA takes a conciliatory approach to all AAT appeals. Approximately 90 per cent of all AAT matters are resolved without a substantive hearing; either by consent agreement, withdrawal, or a lack of jurisdiction for the AAT to hear the matter. To date, 618 AAT matters have been resolved before hearing and 27 have proceeded to the tribunal.

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/...-this-policy-push-to-keep-plans-to-a-minimum/

[edited to emphasise this article is about *ALL* NDIS claims, not just pwME]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
    TiredSam, Chezboo, merylg and 11 others like this.
  7. lafarfelue

lafarfelue Established Member

I'm so glad that this info has been put together like this. Hoping to share it with people I know who are interested in better understanding the issues PwME face, and the politics behind the science and policy creation here in Australia.

Thanks so much for sharing, @Tom Kindlon !

8. lafarfelue

SIX HUNDRED AND EIGHTEEN! That's disgraceful. :mad:

Semi-serious question: What's the equivalent of a class action suit in Australia? Can we collect enough PwME to take the government to court? :(

9. rvallee

rvallee Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I doubt the actual reason matters, the same outcome would have happened no matter what any research showed. It's too generous to pin it down to one mistake or another. At its root is denial, it doesn't matter how it is justified, they just have a strong opinion on the subject, reject reality and substitute their own. If the same people did the same process today it would lead to the exact same outcome.

Insisting that it is not the disease that has been described for decades, albeit not very accurately, is primarily ideological. No one who pursues this reasoned their way into this opinion and reason won't sway them out of their belief. It's as scientifically sound as assuming the episodic outbreaks can be explained as mass hysteria because it primarily affected women. Facts just don't matter when belief overrules reason.

merylg, ladycatlover, Hutan and 5 others like this.
  10. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

It is not stupidity. It is deliberate. The current government have torn our health and welfare systems to pieces.

Like rvallee said, if it wasn't this excuse it would have been another one.

11. lafarfelue

Totally agree with both of your assessments of it not being a basic error or misunderstanding.

It does feel like someone needs to force their hand for things to change, and unfortunately probably more than annual protests and slow-burn campaigns. This government really is the pits, and I doubt that the other major party would be any better. It just seems to be a never ending race to the bottom (for healthcare, and everything else) in Australian politics.

12. sea

sea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

It is deliberate. The government’s “expert medical advisor” for ME/CFS is Andrew Lloyd.

13. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I wonder if the new advisory committee will change this influence?

MEMarge, Sean and merylg like this.
  14. Sean

Sean Moderator Staff Member

Farking better. :grumpy:

alex3619 and MEMarge like this.