Review [ME/CFS] as a complication of COVID-19 post-acute syndrome in adults. Bibliographic Review 2023 Carrillo Uguña and Orellana Romero

Discussion in 'ME/CFS research' started by Andy, Jan 11, 2024.

1. Andy

Andy Committee Member

Abstract

According to the latest report from the World Health Organization and the Pan American Health Organization, CO-VID-19 currently presents a morbidity of 29.6 % and constituted 43.6 % of deaths worldwide. Although mortality rates have decreased considerably, many cases of patients with post-COVID sequelae have been reported around the world; in fact, more than 87 % of patients continue to experience at least one symptom two months after the onset of infec-tion.

The objective of the present review is to describe myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome as a Com-plication of the post-acute syndrome of COVID-19 in Adults. Cases of survivors of COVID-19 have been reported who report the presence of sequelae, persisting for several months after being discharged. Data from post-acute COVID-19 patient reports and early observational studies suggest a syndrome similar to myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome, a chronic, multisystem disease that has been associated with other infections. Within the general population, the prevalence of chronic fatigue ranges between 10 and 40 %, while the ME/CFS association constitutes 0.17-0.89 % and is more common in females.

Open access, https://revistavertex.com.ar/ojs/index.php/vertex/article/view/507

Sean, Trish, Peter Trewhitt and 3 others like this.
  2. RedFox

RedFox Senior Member (Voting Rights)

These authors are well-informed on ME/CFS. My translations are rough around the edges but give a good feel for the authors' views. I included the first few words from the original-language text to facilitate looking it up.
    They're well aware ME/CFS is often poorly understood:
    PEM is the main symptom:
    There is discussion on the history of post-infectious syndromes, including the Spanish Flu and SARS, and the idea that ME/CFS may start when a virus triggers an abberant immune response.

Then they give a brief introduction to long Covid, including a literal translation of the term COVID long-haulers as "long-distance drivers", which sounds odd in Spanish.

They see a clear connection between ME/CFS and LC:
    Hilariously, the ME/CSF typo has found its way into Spanish. (This paper borrows ME/CFS from English, and the authentically Spanish acronym is EM/SFC):