1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

ME/CFS Alert with Llewellyn King and Deborah Waroff - Episode 120: Interview with Leonard A. Jason of Depaul University

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS news' started by Kalliope, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Duration 25 minutes
    Description:
    Llewellyn King interviews Leonard A. Jason, professor of psychology and director of the Center for Community Research at DePaul University in Chicago. Thirty years ago, Jason was stricken with ME/CFS, after a bout of mononucleosis. When he began researching the disease in the 1990s, it was called the "Yuppie Flu." He does meticulous, case ascertainment research on ME/CFS. "How do we know that a case is a case?" he says. Jason cites some important research achievements. As a psychologist, he discusses the importance of community for ME/CFS patients in order to "break down the loneliness" from rejection by the health care system, friends, and even family.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVb-GbMFXDU

shak8, Simbindi, cfsandmore and 13 others like this.
  2. Kalliope

Kalliope Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Another good interview from Llewellyn King.

Towards the end professor Jason talks about housing/living communities for ME patients. I think that has been discussed on this forum a few times.

3. Forbin

Forbin Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Leonard Jason's 1999 prevalence figure for US adults 18 and over was 0.422%

The current US Population over 18 (2019 estimate) is 255,042,109

255,042,109 x 0.00422 = 1,076,277 current US cases over 18 meeting Jason's criteria.

This assumes the prevalence has remained steady since 1999, when the original study was done.

An event like COVID-19 could increase the prevalence, assuming some of the long-Covid cases are deemed indistinguishable from ME/CFS, but there would have to be a lot of cases to increase the "background" prevalence rate very significantly.

Having said that, the long-Covid cases are getting all the attention right now, which may spur research, even if it doesn't yet notice the million elephants in the room.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    ahimsa, Snow Leopard, sebaaa and 2 others like this.