1. Sign our petition calling on Cochrane to withdraw their review of Exercise Therapy for CFS here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, the 'News in Brief' for the week beginning 15th April 2024 is here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Welcome! To read the Core Purpose and Values of our forum, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

ME Aware Surgical Teams UK?

Discussion in 'UK clinics and doctors' started by Jjess, Dec 18, 2021.

1. Jjess

Jjess New Member

Are there any hospitals in the UK that are more ME aware?

I am 33 and, after years, have got a good quality of life back. I work and am trying to have children. However, I now need foot surgery and am terrified of the dismissive attitude of the doctors I have talked to and the idea that problems or relapse could ruin my life again (meaning I end up childless and ill).

I am in Cumbria (North West England) but have been told that I could pick a hospital to have my operation.

Yvonne, Barry, alktipping and 3 others like this.
  2. Peter Trewhitt

Peter Trewhitt Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Would it also be worth setting out what we need a surgical team to be aware of?

Including:
    • best anaesthetic?
    • possibility of adverse drug reactions
    • hypersensitivities
    • PEM
    • risk of triggering deterioration in underlying ME?
    • longer recovery periods needed?

3. JemPD

JemPD Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Sound sensitivity. In my experience there are few places louder than a hospital ward.

Hi @Jjess welcome to S4

I'm sorry i cant help with your question but i hope you manage to find what you need

4. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Of all the professionals I met when having cancer treatment it was the surgeons and anaesthesiologists I liked best. I felt that they did listen to my concerns even when we didn't agree. I've not had many doctor/patient relationships that felt genuine. When I talked about previous reactions I had to drugs and procedures I was believed. We worked around things where we could. I recovered from the surgery really well.

What might help is to have a clear idea of what you need them to do. Gather information on how best to survive an operation and write a plan. Don't assume it will go wrong unless there is a clear reason. Choose your timing.

Hope this helps.

Yvonne, TigerLilea, Amw66 and 6 others like this.
  5. MeSci

MeSci Senior Member (Voting Rights)

My rather old info from the ME Association re dentists recommends avoiding anaesthetics containing adrenaline. I requested this, and was fine, but I'm only moderately affected by ME.

Yvonne and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  6. Sly Saint

Sly Saint Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yvonne, MeSci and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  7. Arnie Pye

Arnie Pye Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Yvonne, Florence and Peter Trewhitt like this.
  8. DigitalDrifter

DigitalDrifter Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Tagging @lunarainbows because she has experience in writing to hospitals about the special care ME patients need during hospital stays.

Yvonne and lunarainbows like this.
  9. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

Hi @Jjess

I live in London, so although I do have a hospital I would recommend who have been brilliant with severe ME (my diagnosis at the time), I don’t think it would be much use to you?

Once you have a hospital sorted out, you can try to find out who the surgeon / anaesthetist will be. Then you could set up a Skype / phone call with them and tell them your concerns. I set up a Skype call with them and sent them information beforehand. I sent the NICE guidelines (at the time they were draft, now they are official and published), and quoted specifically the sections on hospital care and symptoms of severe ME, as well as a few doctors letters that mentioned my ME diagnosis at the time, and light and noise sensitivity.

Just to be clear - I have severe symptoms so needed help with the environment of hospital, most of all. If you don’t need help with that, then there wouldn’t be as much to be concerned about.

Edited to add that was my diagnosis at the time.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2021
    Sarah94, Yvonne, mango and 2 others like this.
  10. TigerLilea

TigerLilea Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I had cancer surgery last year and ME was never an issue. I didn't mention that I had it. I didn't have any problems with anesthesia, pain meds, recovery was quick without any complications, it didn't affect my ME at all, and it didn't trigger PEM - in other words I did fine.

MeSci, Yvonne, Trish and 1 other person like this.
  11. lunarainbows

lunarainbows Senior Member (Voting Rights)

I edited my earlier comment, just to be clear that severe ME was my diagnosis at the time (it is not anymore), but I had severe symptoms and in particular the light and noise and touch / pain sensitivity. It was these sensitivities that affected my stay in hospital and would’ve made things much worse for me if they hadn’t been addressed. If I didn’t have this issue, then I wouldn’t have been as concerned. If you see the hospital sections in the new NICE guidelines, these are the main issues really, as well as flexibility of care.

I also explained my allergies to certain medications. I didn’t have any setbacks from surgery itself nor was PEM after surgery a big issue. (I had other complications but they are are irrelevant to ME, also issues with pain but again not sure how relevant it is).

Arnie Pye, MeSci and Trish like this.